• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

E2K -> E2K3

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> E2K -> E2K3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
E2K -> E2K3 - 3.Aug.2004 8:12:00 PM   
dfosbenner

Hello all,

I've done a good bit of research so far on E2K3 but haven't been able to find the answer to my question.

I have a single Exchange 2000 server in a domain with Win2000 servers. I have no NT, no Exch5.5, and I'm in Exchange native mode.

I purchased a new server, I want to install W2K3 Server, install E2K3 on it, and move the mailboxes from E2K. The only E2K->E2K3 scenarios I am finding are ones that run an in-place upgrade to E2K3 on an existing E2K box. However, I don't want to touch my existing E2K box.

When I run the E2K3 install on the new box, the only options are to install the first E2K3 server organization, or upgrade Exch5.5. Neither is what I want, but I want to join an existing E2K organization.

Am I missing something?
Post #: 1
RE: E2K -> E2K3 - 4.Aug.2004 2:40:00 AM   
Have you read this document from MS?

Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/depguide.mspx

Have you ran a Forestprep and Domainprep before trying to install the Exchange 2003 server? If not, you need to do that first, before performing the install of Exchange 2003.

(in reply to dfosbenner)
  Post #: 2
RE: E2K -> E2K3 - 4.Aug.2004 4:20:00 PM   
dfosbenner

I read both the Planning and Deployment guides from MS. DISAPPOINTING! Every chapter wastes multiple pages re-explaining how to run Forestprep and Domainprep. (I've already run both on my production system).

The Deployment guide does NOT address bringing an Exchange 2003 server into an existing Exchange 2000 organization, it only addresses installing 03 overtop of a 2000 box. So, does anyone know of a source for this?

(in reply to dfosbenner)
Post #: 3
RE: E2K -> E2K3 - 9.Aug.2004 12:00:00 PM   
chc100

I had the same problem. What microsoft did not tell you is that exchange 2k and 2k3 run together. SO basically I joined the ex2k3 server to the domain did a dcpromo on it. Then using the move mailbox wizard i transfered mail boxes to the exchange 2k3 server. You can select all the mailboxes at once and tell them where you want to go. This only works if they are all going to the same mail store obviously.
It will move 4 mail boxes at once. Automaticaly starting the new mail box when it completes the old one. I did this all through exchange 2k3 system manager easier to use. Also as you may know you can have four storage groups with 5 mailbox stores in each.

Hope this helps

(in reply to dfosbenner)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> E2K -> E2K3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll