• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Migration question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Migration question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migration question - 22.Sep.2004 6:00:00 PM   
CTECKERT

What would be the best way to migrate all mailboxes, folders, etc from one exchange 5.5 organization to a different exchange 2003 organization?
There will be a two way trust between domains.
ExMerge seems very complicated. I'm looking for a simple way to get this done.

TIA

[ September 22, 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: CTECKERT ]
Post #: 1
RE: Migration question - 22.Sep.2004 8:37:00 PM   
vretna

Actually, Exmerge isn't as gruesome as the documentation lets on....

I used Exmerge in GUI mode to move about 120 mailboxes from 5.5 over to a new site using 2003 and was clustered.

I used the 5.5 version to pull them off 5.5 and then the 2003 version to push them back in.

The only hitch I ran into was on the rare user account that their name had changed (due to marriage, etc). But even then, all I had to do was rename that PST to reflect the name it was merging too and Exmerge worked like it was supposed too.

When I did my move, I didn't know about pfmigrate so I used an Outlook 2000 client to export my public folders off 5.5... but they say that's supposed to do public folders the same as Exmerge does on mailboxes.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 2
RE: Migration question - 22.Sep.2004 11:09:00 PM   
CTECKERT

thanks.
any other documents that you know of on exmerge other than the document that comes with it? I can't even understand installing it with the way that thing is written.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 3
RE: Migration question - 23.Sep.2004 5:20:00 PM   
vretna

None that I know of....

Try to think of Exmerge as more of a server side method that mimics using Outlook to export or import a mailbox via PST's files. Nothing more. No exporting of mailbox rules or public folder permissions. Exmerge reads their mailbox data and copies it out to a PST file that corresponds to their mailbox. Or Exmerge reads a PST and merges it with an Exchange mailbox.

Really though, the documentation that comes with it is overly confusing. Yeah, more documentation is good, but this white paper should have an "Exmerge in a Nutshell" version.

For installation, The "Requirements and Setup" page is all you need to skim through.

Just make sure those *.dll files listed all appear in your exchsrvr\bin folder on the server and then copy the few that are extracted withe Exmerge into the exchsrvr\bin folder too.

I think there was one dll and the Exmerge.exe program executable....

Then make a shortcut to exmerge on your desktop.

Run the Exmerge and read each screen as you go.

When I first did mine, I'd only pick one test user to work with first and I always picked the 2 step merge because I pulled them out of 5.5 with the older version of Exmerge that was written for 5.5. I think I read somewhere that that was the recommended way.

You can cancel at just about every step in the wizard so give it a try, you'll be surprised how smooth it actually works.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 4
RE: Migration question - 23.Sep.2004 10:00:00 PM   
CTECKERT

all right, thanks man...I really appreciate all of your input. [Cool]

couple more questions about the setup.
This setup procedure seems like it is for disaster recovery.
Do I follow all steps starting on page 2 for the ex 5.5 server and then the procedure for the ex 2003 server that starts on page 5?

Also I hope you check these boards often because I may need my hand held until I get the hang of it.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 5
RE: Migration question - 23.Sep.2004 10:52:00 PM   
vretna

Yes, you can incorporate Exmerge into a disaster recovery plan...

I don't have the docs in front of me to be able to reference page 2 or page 5 of either one. Refer to my earlier post and just extract those files and run the exmerge program on each server. Think "export" on 5.5 and "import" on 2003 and you'll be fine. You'll be surpised at how intuitive Exmerge is. I know I was!

I'm new to the board so no, I've not been on these boards often.

[ September 23, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: vretna ]

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 6
RE: Migration question - 24.Sep.2004 4:04:00 PM   
CTECKERT

ok, did you get stuck with this error

error encountered getting mailbox information from the private information store database on 5.5 server. make sure you have adequate permissions on the information store object.

I've given myself all the permissions I can think of. There is an active trust between the two domains.
Seems like everytime I start making a little progress with this I get some kind of error message that stops me in my tracks.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 7
RE: Migration question - 24.Sep.2004 4:41:00 PM   
Andy Mac

Hi
Has the account which you are using got Exchange Full Admin permissions to the Org, Site and Server ?
On 2000 / 2003, the account has got to have "send as" and "receive as" permissions on the store.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 8
RE: Migration question - 24.Sep.2004 4:57:00 PM   
CTECKERT

send as and receive as are on the mailbox store is what I think I need, but because of 2003 security restrictions it is grayed out for all the administrative groups. So I can not figure out a way to give any account permissions to it.

grrr...tricky tricky M$

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 9
RE: Migration question - 24.Sep.2004 5:24:00 PM   
CTECKERT

ok I got past that by taking off the inheriting permissions and re adding all permissions.

But, I'm still getting that same error message, but it's permissions on the NT server.
Any ideas?

screen shot

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 10
RE: Migration question - 24.Sep.2004 8:25:00 PM   
vretna

Are you getting that screen shot error when running Exmerge on the Exchange 5.5 Server?

Make sure you didn't give yourself too many groups of permissions. You don't want lower level permissions trumping your higher level permissions and locking you out. For example, only Use the account that has "Service Account" permissions on the 5.5 server. If you can, figure out which account was the service account for Exchagne 5.5 and use that logon ID for pulling out the mailboxes.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 11
RE: Migration question - 27.Sep.2004 2:50:00 PM   
CTECKERT

I am logging in with the exchange service account and getting the error:
The server "SCI_EXCHANGE" is inaccessible. It is either not a ms exchange server or you do not have rights to access the exchange directory on this machine.

(in reply to CTECKERT)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Migration question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter