• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Migration Advice

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Migration Advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migration Advice - 3.Jan.2005 4:40:00 PM   
tjm1959

I'm just starting to look into migrating to Exchange 2003. My current setup is a single Exchange 2000 SP3 server running on a Windows 2000 AD Domain. Have 3 AD servers, 2 local and one at a remote office. No Exchange server at the remote office. Exchange is not on an AD box.

What's the best migration process? Upgrade AD or Exchange 1st? I do have the option of doing inplace upgrade or move to new hardware for exchange. Current hardware is Dual 2.4 Xeon, new would be Dual 2.8 Xeon, memory and storage would be the same. What is the recommandation?

Other issues I have currently is very slugish performance on our current Exchange server. I have both Symantec AV for Exchange and GFI Mail Essentials 10 for spam filtering running on that server. I have thought of implimenting a second server for SMTP/AV/Spam filtering, but have not done this as of yet. Is this a good idea? If done should I do this as part of our migration?

Just starting the planning process and currently do not have a time table.
Post #: 1
RE: Migration Advice - 11.Jan.2005 1:58:00 PM   
mark@mvps.org

I would go to Windows 2003 on the DCs first. That will put you in good shape to take advantage of all the E2K3 bits that rely on W2K3 AD (like RPC over HTTPS)
Then take to Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on the members.
Big thing first off though would be to solve the sluggishness on the servers. If you can implement a Front End to take the SMTP and anti spam processing then it's a very good idea. The server doesn't have to be very beefy to offload that bit of processing.

(in reply to tjm1959)
Post #: 2
RE: Migration Advice - 17.Jan.2005 7:17:00 PM   
tjm1959

I have a server that is already running W2k3 that I was going to use as my front end server. Should I rebuild this with W2k and install E2k as a front end and then do my AD and E2k3 migration or am I better off leaving it w2k3 and migrating AD to w2k3 and then have this be my 1st E2k3 server? And is an inplace upgrade of E2k3 over E2k better than a migration to a new server and moving mailboxes? I've never liked upgrading the OS. I've always like to do clean installs.

Thanks,

Tim M

(in reply to tjm1959)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Migration Advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter