• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Strange things happened in migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Strange things happened in migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strange things happened in migration - 15.Jan.2005 7:07:00 PM   
Lassi

Hi.

I posted this topic to E55 General but did not get any replies. What about here?

Strange things happened last saturday when I did an intra-site migration from E55 to E2k3.

Environment was really simple. One Win 2000 AD (SP3 and SP4) and one Exchange 5.5 server (SP4). Before I started, I asked about backups and answer was: "We took full backup last night and now we have stopped inbound mail flow."

I did all the things as usually and everything appeared to work OK. I moved a test mailbox and it worked well. Then I upgraded ADC and E2k3 to SP1 and customer installed a virus software to new server. When it was time to move rest of the mailboxes to new system I noticed that about half of the E55 mailboxes had disappeared and corresponding CRs had appeared to E55 directory. When I looked the accounts in AD I saw that part of the accounts were mailbox enabled and rest of the boxes only mail enabled.

Next step should be stopping the ADC and doing a restore to E55. Do not laugh. All the backups were useles because the bastard customer had tried to take file level backups from online database and ofcourse enabled circular logging. "[Frown]"

I immediately took an offline copy of the database files and examined priv.edb. I opened the file with Ontrack software but could see only the same mailboxes as in Exchange Admin.

I noticed that all the lost mailboxes were owned by accounts that had been migrated from NT4 domain some years ago. UPN-logon-name of these accounts was not present. All the new accounts that were created directly to AD worked well and I moved these mailboxes to new Exchange system.

My questions are. Do anybody know why this happened? Is there any possibilities to restore lost data from this priv.edb file?

Lassi
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Strange things happened in migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter