5.5 to 2003 migration guidance (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration

TopBear -> 5.5 to 2003 migration guidance (17.Jan.2005 11:48:00 AM)

Firstly hi everyone,

Im looking for a bit of guidance on a Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration.

This site to be migrated is currently running Windows NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 and is a single site with single Exchange server hosting around 250 users.

The primary objective of this exercise is to implement Exchange 2003 into the same Exchange organisation and co-exist the EX5.5\2003 servers for a period of a couple of months whilst migrating groups of mailboxes to the Exchange 2003 server before finally decommisioning the Exchange 5.5 server.

I read numerous MS docs on Exchange 2003 deployment and migration from 5.5, and one thing which is confusing me is if I use deciding on whether to use the ADMT *and* ADC, or whether to just use the ADC to synchronise 5.5 and AD directory information.

The aim is to minimise the users disruption and for them to (hopefully) login using their existing NT 4 domain, username & password but gain access to their migrated Exchange 2003 mailbox and retain all the security\access they currently have.

The long term objective is to move fully to the AD2003 domain, however this may take quite a few months so co-existence of the two domains is critical.

Has anyone experience of this approach and is this feasible?

Page: [1]