• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Share same SMTP domain name space

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Share same SMTP domain name space Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Share same SMTP domain name space - 3.Mar.2005 10:18:00 AM   
mikerook

During migration need to share SMTP domian between current Exchange 5.5 and newly installed Exchange 2003 organisation. Exchange 5.5 is authoritive for the SMTP domain. Made Exchange 2003 authoritive for another primary SMTP address, and shared the original SMTP domain.

I have then setup an SMTP connector on Exchange 03 to route to the other domain using the Exchange 5.5 server as the smart host.

Still can't send mail between the two Exchange organisations. Any ideas on how to get this working, do any changes need making on the Exchange 5.5 sites?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Share same SMTP domain name space - 3.Mar.2005 10:47:00 AM   
ConnyRask

Here is a really good article about SMTP address sharing, but you have register to be able to read it.

http://www.msd2d.com/Content/Tip_viewitem.aspx?section=Exchange&category=Technology+Briefs&id=a50f3fe7-ccfb-4ff0-b31d-6da6de15ff7a

(in reply to mikerook)
Post #: 2
RE: Share same SMTP domain name space - 7.Mar.2005 3:22:00 PM   
mikerook

Thanks for the info. I followed the guide mentioned. Now when I try to send a mail between the Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5 the messages stay in the queue.

In Exchange 2003 the messages sit in the Smtp connector queue saying unable to bind to DNS. They also appear in the Exchange 5.5 Internet mail service queue saying unreachable.

Any ideas?

(in reply to mikerook)
Post #: 3
RE: Share same SMTP domain name space - 15.Mar.2005 1:16:00 PM   
mikerook

I can now get mail from Exchange 2003 going to Exchange 5.5. When a 5.5 user sends to Exchange 2003 the message is not received. Does 5.5 treat this mail as if it was an external e-mail that should be sent out onto the internet?

(in reply to mikerook)
Post #: 4
RE: Share same SMTP domain name space - 15.Mar.2005 2:06:00 PM   
Have you configured Exchange 5.5 to share the SMTP space aswell?

Q258203 is the MS KB article that describes how to set this up.

(in reply to mikerook)
  Post #: 5
RE: Share same SMTP domain name space - 15.Mar.2005 2:11:00 PM   
mikerook

Thanks for your reply. Just got mail working to and from both exchange organisations. Exchange 5.5 was forwarding the replies to our mailsweeper box via IMS service. Changed this to forward to Exchange 2003. Now just got to get Exchange 2003 to forward external mail to the mailsweeper server.

(in reply to mikerook)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Share same SMTP domain name space Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter