• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Thoughts and criticisim please

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Thoughts and criticisim please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thoughts and criticisim please - 12.May2005 5:18:00 PM   
RHanna

I am putting together our migration plan to E2K3. We currently have an insane amount of email (pushing 800 GB spread on 10 servers in 8 different cities) and no size limits on anything. We WILL have a 1 GB mailbox limit moving forward. My plan is to get a number of Dell 2850 Servers, set up a raid-5 partition with 280+ Gb on each and use E2K3 EE. This way I can setup a number of storage groups on each server with a maximum size of 25 users (25 GB) and leave at least 30 GB free for restore and creepage from deleted items/mailboxes. Is that enough space left free?

Also, the plan is to build one server with 2K3, move the mailboxes from the old to the new, and then build another new one and repeat until done. I have heard concerns about stability of ADC... hwo stable is it in protracted (2-4 months) deployment?

Any gotchas, tips or general ideas welcome.

Roger
Post #: 1
RE: Thoughts and criticisim please - 12.May2005 7:03:00 PM   
ScottyFryer

Make sure you turn circular logging on when you plan on moving the mailboxes..

(in reply to RHanna)
Post #: 2
RE: Thoughts and criticisim please - 12.May2005 8:56:00 PM   
samjaffer

Hi,

The ADC's are pretty stable but pay extra attention to distribution lists. If you create parallel environments and the new Exchange server is not part of the old Organization then the ADC will replicate DL's as contacts in AD. Thats so stupid and MS does not have a solution for this yet. If the new Exchange server is part of the same Organization then the DL's will migrate over and have all the members listed.

I found this the hardway. We have about 180 DL's and over 4000 Contacts so I had to go through some tough shit to migrte it all.

Another trick to resolve the DL issue is to use 3rd party migration tools but they cost quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

Sam Jaffer

(in reply to RHanna)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Thoughts and criticisim please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter