• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange and ADMT (InterForest Migration)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange and ADMT (InterForest Migration) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange and ADMT (InterForest Migration) - 16.Aug.2005 5:10:00 PM   
wmichel

I am pretty familiar with ADMT and Exchange migrations within the same forest and organization/site but I'm a little unsure about doing this across different forests.

I have a Windows 2000 Mixed mode (Source) domain which includes an Exchange 5.5 server on Windows 2000 (no ADC yet). I also have a Windows 2000 Native mode (Target) domain with ADMT installed and configured. This Target domain will have a new Windows Server 2003 box for Exchange 2003.
I want to use ADMT to migrate groups, users, workstations, and servers (including Exchange 5.5) to the new 2000 forest. I plan on decomissioning the old 5.5 server when this is done.

Questions:
How do I tackle Exchange?
Will users still have access to their 5.5 mailboxes after i migrate their accounts to the new forest?
Do i need to install the ADC on the source domain before migrating the users?
Do i need to migrate the Exchange 5.5 computer to the new forest? If so, I can then join the new 2003 server to the site and go through the steps of moving mailboxes and public folders, right?
What is the difference between the "Exchange Migration Wizard" included with Exchange 2003 and the "Exchange Directory Migration Wizard" included with ADMT? Do I need to run Both??
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange and ADMT (InterForest Migration) - 30.Aug.2005 4:29:00 PM   
qbertrand

Hi Wendell,
I was just about to post when I saw your mail. I'm in pretty much in the same boat except my present exchange server is 2000. I found this article on the MS site
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328871
however there is a lot of things the exchange migration wizard can't migrate e.g. acls, custom recipients, public folders etc.
if you have had any break throughs, please let me know,
best regards,
bertrand.

(in reply to wmichel)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange and ADMT (InterForest Migration) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter