• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP Mails in Public folders shown as posts

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> SMTP Mails in Public folders shown as posts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP Mails in Public folders shown as posts - 24.Jan.2001 11:48:00 AM   
robert

When recieveing SMTP mails and are forwarded automatically to a public folder these are placed as posts not as mail even though the public folder was created to accept mails. When internal mails are sent to the public folders they arrive as mail item even automatic routing of internal mails.

------------------
Regards
Robert Abela
robert@gfi.com

Post #: 1
RE: SMTP Mails in Public folders shown as posts - 27.Dec.2001 12:18:00 AM   
Scottw

I too, am having the same problem. I did not feel that it was a problem, but I am told that if an attachment is present, the attachmnet to the post cannot be opened. We started noticing the problem soon after the permisions for anonymous changed to "none" on several, not all, public folders.
We are a mixed 5.5/ 2000 environment with Exchange 2000 running on 2000 Advanced servers.
Please tell me if these "posts" are a concern, and if so, how can I fix them. We cannot find a common thread between those that are posted, and those that appear as mail.

(in reply to robert)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP Mails in Public folders shown as posts - 29.Dec.2001 10:33:00 PM   
DavidCo

I am also experiencing the same problem as robert.

I have several inbound email addresses delivered to public folders (for several support/inquiry addresses and listserve subscriptions).

However, the SMTP mail is delivered to these public folders as Post-forms instead of Messages. Internal mail sent to these folders _is_ delivered as a standard Message, so the problem appears to be in the SMTP component.

This is problematic because we use the Outlook 'Flag' field extensively and this is not available for Post-forms.

I have tried creating the folder from Outlook2K, OutlookXP, and ExchAdmin. The folders are created to hold either 'Mail' or 'mail and post' items but the problem occurs in all cases.

If I try to change the "when posting to this folder use:" folder property from 'Post' to
Forms...
Standard Forms Library
I get the error "You cannot create item of this type in this folder"

I have also tried changing the permissions for Default and Anonymous to 'Owner', but this did not work either.

Finally, I tried to direct all of these addresses to the administrator's inbox and set up a number of rules to move the messages into the appropriate public folder. This succeeds in delivering a Message rather than a post-form, but the rule is a client-rule, so I need to leave Outlook running on the server to make these available in a timely manner.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem that would configure the SMTP server to deliver messages to public folders *withoug* changing the message type to IPM.Post?

Is there some other workaround?

Thanks,

DavidCo

(in reply to robert)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP Mails in Public folders shown as posts - 6.Mar.2002 9:34:00 AM   
DavidCo

Background:
In Exchange5.5, internal messages and external SMTP messages directed to a public folder's email address were delivered to the folder as Mail Messages (IPM.Note)

One common public folder scenario was to create a mail-enabled public folder and subscribe its email address to a mailing list.

In Exchange2000 (E2K) the SMTP architecture changed, and for reasons I don't understand, inbound SMTP messages delivered to public folders are now delivered to the folder as Post Notes (IPM.Post) even though messages sent within E2K to the public folder are still (properly, IMHO) delivered as IPM.Note!

[Frown]
The behaviour and properties of Post notes are very different from those of Messages, making the new (inconsistent) E2K behaviour unacceptable for many 'shared access to inbound SMTP email' scenarios.

Workaround: use redirect-to instad of move in rules

1. Assign the email addresses that used to be associated with various public folders to a single user inbox (e.g. Administrator, or ListManager, etc) that will handle all inbound SMTP mail for these public folders.

2. Give the public folders new, unique email addresses

3. Use Outlook to create server-side rules on this inbox that inspect messages "after they arrive" and use the "redirect to people or distribution list" action, specifying the appropriate new public folder email address.
(Note: Do not use the 'move to a specified folder' action since for some reason this results in a client-side rule that will only fire when an outlook client session is active)

This way, external SMTP messages are delivered as IPM.Note to an Exchange inbox and then are sent within E2K to the public folders and arrive there as IPM.Note instead of IPM.Post matching the Exchange 5.5 behaviour.

Hope this helps...

DavidCo

(in reply to robert)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> SMTP Mails in Public folders shown as posts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter