• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 13.Aug.2001 5:01:00 PM   
MillarMan

There are lots of 'valid' reasons why mail will stay in a queue and not be delivered, not just because of bugs in Exchange.

I have seen mail fail for several reasons:

1. the other site has a size limit. ie. they wont accept large emails.

2. temporary (days at a time) routing problems on the Internet.

3. anti-spam filters blocking my address or my domain

There are probably lots of other reasons - SMTP isn't that smart. The best way to track problems is to enable logging on your SMTP service and go from there.

MillarMan

(in reply to steppin_razor)
Post #: 21
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 13.Aug.2001 6:34:00 PM   
seast

It is failing with small test emails and on some domains it has been failing for a couple of weeks. Anti-spam could be it I guess - but sometimes my mails get through so I am not sure what is going on here.

I switched on SMTP logging on my machine a while back - SMTP is finding and logging on to the correct SMTP server to send the message - it sends the RCPT command for the recipients but never sends a DATA command and presumably times out.

So I don't think this isn't a DNS or MX issue - it is getting to the right SMTP server. The strange thing is that to some of the domains with the problem maybe 10% of the mails get through fine.

Simon.

Post #: 22
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 14.Aug.2001 5:50:00 PM   
Digitalcandy

Make sure to check this thread I put together. It may be the solution your looking for.
http://www.msexchange.org/bboardtech/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000752.html

------------------
Ryan

Post #: 23
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 14.Aug.2001 7:21:00 PM   
seast

Ryan,

Had a look at your post. I have been able to telnet into some of the SMTP server that delivery is not occuring to and also in the log it looks like exchange is getting to the point of logging on to the correct SMTP server and sending RCPT commands - it just never sends the DATA command.

So this would indicate to me that in general it is not an MX record issue - unless you think that having failed with one SMTP server it should be retrying with the next MX record down.

Simon.

Post #: 24
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 14.Aug.2001 8:17:00 PM   
Digitalcandy

quote:
Originally posted by seast:
Ryan,

Had a look at your post. I have been able to telnet into some of the SMTP server that delivery is not occuring to and also in the log it looks like exchange is getting to the point of logging on to the correct SMTP server and sending RCPT commands - it just never sends the DATA command.

So this would indicate to me that in general it is not an MX record issue - unless you think that having failed with one SMTP server it should be retrying with the next MX record down.

Simon.

Well sounds a bit different than my situation and others on this forum. Some domains highest priority MX record won't even respond. If your able to telnet into the highest priority but not send the data part then your situation may be different.

If your familiar with setting up SMTP connectors, I would try it for the given "problem" domain. Set the connector to deliver all mail adressed to *@XYZ.com to one of the MX records that works fine.

Then see if mail is being sent. If your unsure about setting up SMTP connectors let me know.

------------------
Ryan

Post #: 25
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 15.Aug.2001 11:40:00 AM   
seast

OK - I think I have fixed the problem.

Maybe this is a well known thing and in a FAQ somewhere but anyway:

In Exchange manager, Connectors, your domain SMTP, properties - on the advanced tab tick the send HELO box.

Now mail gets through to all my probem domains.

So either this is a problem with the ESMTP implementation on those particular domains I was sending to (but there were all different SMTP servers) or there is a problem with ESMTP in Exchange.

Hope this helps some other people out.

Simon.

Post #: 26
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 23.Aug.2001 8:53:00 AM   
Hi,

This could happen for another reason.

I am also having the same problem, mails to some perticular domain sits in the queue and the application log says "The connection was dropped by remote host".

The netmon analysis says the connection is aborted with SMTP response 451 see http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html

You will have problem sending mails to domain using Q-mail. Q-mail does not allow Bare LF. It seems there is an issue with Exchange and Q-mail.

Microsoft is currently researching this problem.

Suzo

Post #: 27
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 3.Oct.2001 8:24:00 PM   
We are Exchange 5.5 site to which Exchange 2000 sites have trouble getting through.

Per log at this end - problem is with XEXCH50.

Exchange 2000 attempts 'exchange to exchange' transfer to which 5.5 responds with '354 send data' but then after 4 minutes times out with '554 unknown response'

From this end it appears as though XEXCH50 is the culprit - only Exchange 2000 transmissions attempt this protocol.

from our log...
250-XEXCH50
250-HELP
250-ETRN
250-DSN
250-SIZE 0
250-AUTH LOGIN
250 AUTH=LOGIN
<<< MAIL FROM:<xxx@yyy.com>
>>> 250 OK - mail from <xxx@yyy.com>
<<< RCPT TO:<aaa@bbb.com>
>>> 250 OK - Recipient <aaa@bbb.com>
<<< XEXCH50 2024 2
>>> 354 Send binary data
>>> 554 Unknown response code!?! - after 4 minute delay

We have problem with 3 Exchange 2000 sites at this time. Still looking for solution other than having them send through hotmail or yahoo mail account (which does work).

We are Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT 4.0 SP3 server.
There is Winproxy 4/ZoneAlarm 2.6 firewall on separate box between Exchange and ISP. DNS is with ISP. We have no other email problems. Have been unable to get info from Exchange 2000 sites as to their setup or logs.

If you can shed light on solution - thanks

email@jpsep.com

Post #: 28
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 12.Dec.2001 10:32:00 PM   
Sorry, just moving this up with companion threads...

Post #: 29
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 18.Dec.2001 8:44:00 PM   
it might be your open relay issue.
I was having problem sending mail to certain domains and always got NDR 5.5.0 return. I tried lots of thing people posted here and they did not work. Then I contacted the admins of those domains and found out I was on their open relay list. My server was setup in April and open relay was fixed in June. Although my server was secured since then , they did not update their list. Now everything is ok. So, if you server is directly connected to the internet, using internet IP or NAT mapped port, your server may be an open relay. There are some sites you can check if your server is open relay, such as: www.ordb.org .

Have a nice holiday!

Post #: 30
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 18.Dec.2001 9:09:00 PM   
Additional info:
I was blocked by those domains' firewall.
After they took my IP off their list, my mail went through.

Post #: 31
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 3.Jan.2002 11:18:00 PM   
Our problem has nothing to do with 'blacklist' - it is specifically an Exchange 2000 to Exchange 5.5 problem - the details of which follow.

Note: recently a .edu site with whom we regularly exchange mail went down with virus - they temporarily switched to Exchange 2000 and mail stopped getting through - when they got back onto original server all was well again.

As indicated below - problem seems to be specifically XEXCH50 related - but have yet to hear from anyone who can shed light on what this might mean.

If you are an Exchange 2000 site - try sending to email@jpsep.com - then review your logs or try whatever has typically been suggested to see if it is a DNS problem. I have been unable to get anyone at other sites to follow up on problem. It seems that only solution is to 'upgrade' to Exchange 2000 - which would please Microsoft - but this seems like an expensive fix. It is cheaper to just have them use Yahoo or HotMail - both of which work fine.

Anyway, I copied info below from another thread so that maybe someone will come up with a solution. There are 4 or 5 threads related to these problems....

A few domains are having difficulty getting mail delivered to our domain (our exchange server).
It has been determined that a couple of these senders recently switched to Exchange 2000.
We are on Exchange 5.5 Neither they nor we have any other e-mail problems.

In monitoring the transmission logs, this is what we see on the Exchange 5.5 side:

12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : A connection was accepted from our.firewall.
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : <<< EHLO mail.their_domain.edu
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : >>> 250-our_exchange_server.our_internal_domain Hello [our.firewall]
250-XEXCH50
250-HELP
250-ETRN
250-DSN
250-SIZE 0
250-AUTH LOGIN
250 AUTH=LOGIN
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : <<< MAIL FROM:<sender@their_domain.edu> SIZE=235439 RET=FULL
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : >>> 250 OK - mail from <sender@their_domain.edu>; can accomodate 235439 bytes
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : <<< RCPT TO:<our_user@our_domain.com> NOTIFY=FAILURE,DELAY
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : >>> 250 OK - Recipient <our_user@our_domain.com>
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : <<< XEXCH50 704 2
12/12/01 7:45:47 AM : >>> 354 Send binary data
12/12/01 7:47:37 AM : >>> 554 Unknown response code!?!

They have not shared what it looks like in logs on 2000 side.

Only these attempts from Exchange 2000 use the XEXCH50 'protocol.'
Only these attempts from Exchange 2000 use a 354 Send binary data.
Only these attempts from Exchange 2000 result in a 554 Unknown response code!?!.
Only these attempts from Exchange 2000 fail to deliver.

And this is because a CNAME instead of an MX or A entry are in the DNS somewhere?

Used nslookup {per another article) to view DNS info...results follow:

> set type=mx
> our_domain.com
Server: ns4.our_local_isp.net
Address: 11.22.33.44

Non-authoritative answer:

our_domain.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.our_domain.com

our_domain.com nameserver = ns.our_web_host.com
our_domain.com nameserver = ns2.our_web_host.com
our_domain.com nameserver = ns4.our_web_host.com
our_domain.com nameserver = ns3.our_web_host.com
Mail.our_domain.com internet address = 1.2.3.4
Ns.our_web_hostweb2010.com internet address = 2.3.1.149
Ns2.our_web_host.com internet address = 1.5.79.2
Ns4.our_web_host.com internet address = 1.5.55.6
Ns3.our_web_host.com internet address = 1.5.47.6

If I understand the above, MX points to mail.our_domain.com
Mail.our_domain.com points to an IP Address (this is address of our firewall server)
Does this qualify as a 'canonical' entry?

Per article (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q153/0/01.asp
XFOR: DNS MX Records and CNAMEs (Q153001))

Desired Configuration:

company.com. MX 10 mail.company.com.
mail.company.com. IN A 127.127.127.127

I cannot see the 'IN A' but do see
Mail.our_domain.com internet address = 1.2.3.4
which I am guessing is the same thing??

Am I looking in the wrong place?
How does one determine if there is a CNAME entry on a DNS Server somewhere?
Tried setting type to CNAME which returned nothing (nslookup set type=cname).

I know that there are pointers all over the place...
Our domain is hosted by our 'web host.'
Their DNS points mail to our local, ISP provided, 'static' IP address (via MX entry)
that feeds into our firewall server's external NIC, then to an internal NIC, and finally on to our Exchange Server.

The A entry for our domain points to our web host's server.
The MX entry is our server.

But this is not new.
It is only with Exchange 2000's effort to use XEXCH50 that we seem to have problem.
So is this a DNS problem or not?

If you wish to address me directly send to: email@jpsep.com

Thank you,

Stephen

Post #: 32
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 16.Jan.2002 2:17:00 PM   
pankaj

we also have problem not receving mail from some customer .
After lot of investigation we found that all missing mails were on our isp mail server,which was set so that when our exchange is not working mail should not be miss.
Is it possible to set so that mail from isp delivered to exchange ?

regards

pankaj

Post #: 33
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 16.Jan.2002 7:06:00 PM   
adukart

I was just going to let you know what the transmission logs look like on my side (Exchange 2000) if you still want to know.

17:02:14 - - - 0
17:02:14 mail.qpk_jpsep EHLO - 0
17:02:14 mail.qpk_jpsep - - 0
17:02:14 mail.qpk_jpsep MAIL - 0
17:02:14 mail.qpk_jpsep RCPT - 0
17:02:14 mail.qpk_jpsep XEXCH50 - 0
17:06:40 mail.qpk_jpsep - - 0
17:06:40 mail.qpk_jpsep DATA - 0
17:07:02 mail.qpk_jpsep - - 0
17:07:02 mail.qpk_jpsep QUIT - 0
17:07:24 mail.qpk_jpsep - - 0

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for that's all I have.

Amy

Post #: 34
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 8.Feb.2002 4:25:00 PM   
Thank you Amy.

A couple of people recently responded to posts by sending from Exchange 2000 to our Exchange 5.5.

Your's and one other did make it without problem.

Those coming through are not attempting XEXCH50.
Do not know why some use it and some don't.
Per our logs, failure is when Exchange2000 attempts to use XEXCH50 to send data. It could be related to attachments or it could be some other setting at their end.

Also suggested to Exchange2000 sites that they use SMTP instead of ESMTP - and this has worked with the one site that implemented this (per Aug posting in this thread).

Will look at Q257638 as suggested elsewhere and see if it sheds light on this issue. It suggests 'fix' from 5.5 side.

But we still have several XEXCH50 failures per week - so it would be nice to resolve this.

Post #: 35
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 8.Feb.2002 9:34:00 PM   
adukart

The reason it didn't use xexch50 is because I created an smtp connector and then set it to use helo instead of ehlo and that made my server able to send to you. My earlier reply to this post was before I created the smtp connector. I have now removed it because my connection got really slow having it enabled. Hope there is a fix for the 5.5 servers because I don't want to have study another subject (smtp connector) being I don't know exactly what it is and how to set it up correctly and I need to have this server setup and running for the office by the end of this month. I still have to study public folders, forms, and teach everyone how to use Outlook. If there is a solution on the 5.5 side please let everyone know and I hope this clears up a little bit of the confusion.

Thanks, Amy

Post #: 36
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 27.Mar.2002 10:04:00 PM   
This still seems to be an ongoing issue...

Couple of E2k sites have been getting mail through to our E5.5 site, but others still having problem.

They have SP2 - so that is not it.
Confirmed that 2 sites disabled Esmtp (as did Amy above) but current site is unwilling to do this .

Does anyone know of any way (short of our upgrading to E2k or disabling Esmtp on E2k) to get mail from E2k to E5.5 without XEXCH50 happening?

Or - does anyone know if it is possible to use XEXCH50 successfully between E2k and E5.5 - i.e. is there something we need to do in order to enable successful XEXCH50 exchange?

I cannot believe that fix has not happened given number of sites having this problem - since August 2001 at least.

Help. Thanks.

Post #: 37
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 28.Mar.2002 9:11:00 PM   
Digitalcandy

I am using E2K SP2 and we need to send mail to two domains that we had problems with. The only conclusion I came to, through logs and network monitor, is Exchange was not sending mail to the other priority MX records if the highest failed.

For instance if a site has 3 MX records and the first MX cannot be reached, Exchange was not attempting delivery to the other MX records for that domain.

I made an SMTP connecter for our problematic domains and setup the connector send to the second highest MX record for each respective domain. I have been doing this for 6+ months without any problems. I am not saying it is the best fix but I will continue with it until SP3 comes out and see if that fixes my problem.

Anyways, do an MX search for a domain. Make an SMTP connector to send to the 2nd highest priority for that domain and see what happens. If you have questions on how to setup the connector, email me at rl_nt@yahoo.com

Post #: 38
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 29.Mar.2002 10:58:00 PM   
This is still focusing on DSN/MX which I do not believe is the problem.

The E2k server connects to the E5.5 server - no problem.

They exchange greetings - E2k indicating what it wants to send, E5.5 indicating that it is okay to send... then when E2k sends in BINARY (XEXCH50) there is 4 minute delay afterwhich connection is dropped.

Is this DNS/MX problem???

Post #: 39
RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com - 3.Apr.2002 12:17:00 AM   
Digitalcandy

Sorry, just thought you might want to try an SMTP connector since it can't hurt anything.

Maybe http://www.zmailer.org/mxverify.html can answer some of your questions. Verify your problem domains there. It tests many SMTP commands. Don't know if it will answer any of your questions, but thought I would share it with you.

Post #: 40

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> RE: Exchange 2K - won't deliver mail to loudeye.com Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter