• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Private folder rights

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Private folder rights Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Private folder rights - 31.Oct.2001 10:54:00 PM   
koggen

Hi!

We have ended up with a quite irritating problem. We recently redesigned our mail groups in Exchange 2000. Many of our users need to share their calendars and sometimes also their mailboxes, so therefore we have assigned user rights to individual mailboxes and calendars with groups. When we redesigned our mail groups in the AD we also recreated some groups, i.e. deleted some groups and created new ones. When we then tried to add the new groups to the access list for individual user mailboxes we ran into problems. The access list shows the basic info like the default and anonymous rights. Unfortunately the SID:s of the former mail groups are still present. And because they are still present (and there are no corresponding groups any longer) we can not remove the erroneous SID:s, change ANY information for present groups, or add any new groups! So basically were stuck in a sort of Catch-22 situation. We can't remove the erroneous information because there are erroneous SIDs present…

We had no problems with our public folders as the Exchange System Administration snap-in has an excellent GUI for changing public folder client permissions. But how do you do that with mailboxes?! Any information is greatly appreciated! Our only option so far is to export the user mailboxes, delete the current mailbox and then recreate the whole thing again. Not quite so funny…

Regards,

Johan Sandqvist

Post #: 1
RE: Private folder rights - 1.Nov.2001 10:43:00 PM   
jeffj

But how do you do that with mailboxes?!

In AD Users and Computers --> View --> Advanced Features. Properties on User --> Exchange Advanced --> Mailbox Rights.

(in reply to koggen)
Post #: 2
RE: Private folder rights - 4.Nov.2001 8:04:00 PM   
koggen

Hi!

Many thanks for your reply. I also found that option just after my posting ... Unfortunately though that’s not what I need. What I'm talking about is when you assign co-workers the right to e.g. add appointments in your calendar by assigning rights to different mail groups. This is done within Outlook and as far as I know has nothing to do with AD. The option you provided regulates as far as I can make out the right to access the mailbox, i.e. by web mail or by using your own credentials to log on a different mailbox.

I did find a probable solution when I screened our mail groups. For some reason several were marked as mail enabled security groups instead of distribution groups. When I changed the mail groups to distributions groups everything worked again as it should! I have not been able to verify though that this solved the problem for all our users. The funny thing now is that AD has by itself changed the distribution groups back to security groups again! My first thought would be that we are experiencing some sort of replication problem, but we only have one domain controller. Ever heard anything like this?

I suspect that you can’t convert a mail enabled security group to a distribution group. I will try to delete the email address of the security group first, then convert the group to distribution, and then reestablish the email addresses. Hopefully AD won’t change the group type again…

Regards,

Johan Sandqvist

(in reply to koggen)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Private folder rights Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter