• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Sending and recieving external mail.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Sending and recieving external mail. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sending and recieving external mail. - 10.Jan.2002 8:18:00 PM   
adukart

I can not figure out how to set up exchange for external mail. My ISP gave me a static real IP and a domain name. My domain name that my ISP gave me is different than my computer name and internal domain name and I don't know if that even matters but I'm just asking anyway. I've had the Exchange server running for about 2 1/2 months now with internal mail and such. I am trying to figure out how to set up for the external mail. I went to system administrator and connections and created a new SMTP connector. Then I set the SMTP connector to forward all mail through smart host:
[Static Real IP].
I set LOcal Bridgeheads to my server name default SMTP virtual server. I then added the address space type SMTP address * cost 1. Then I went to my Default SMTP Virtual Server properties and on the acces tab went to relay and set it to all except the list below and checked the Allow all computers wich successfuly authenticate...Finally I changed the SMTP address in my recipients policy to @the domain name that my ISP gave me. It still isn't working though I just get a error message returned saying
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 1/9/2002 4:46 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

little_amy@hotmail.com on 1/9/2002 6:56 PM
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.
<my internal server.domainname #4.4.6>

Then when I send an e-mail from outside to an address inside the e-mail never gets there but the sender never gets an error either. Could someone please tell me what I've done wrong? If you need more info just let me know.

Thank You, Amy.

Post #: 1
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 10.Jan.2002 9:58:00 PM   
dghowell

Here is what I would try to troubleshoot the problem:
1) Check to see that your Exchange server can access other internet services (Web, FTP, etc). If you can not, you need to open the firewall or create a way for your exchange server to access the internet.
2) Ping a Domain such as www.yahoo.com and see if you get a response. (You may not get a ping response, but you should get an IP address resolved.) If Ping does not return an IP address, the problem is probably DNS related. One way to resolve this problem is to set the DNS on exchange to the external DNS servers assigned by your ISP.

Is your Exchange server setup with 2 NIC cards or does the Exchange server redirect to a Proxy server or ISA server?

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 2
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 10.Jan.2002 10:44:00 PM   
adukart

1) Already opened port 25 on my router to allow mail.
2) I can ping out and receive a response.
My Exchange server has forwarders to my ISPs DNS servers, one NIC and a DSL line for internet (no proxy or ISA).

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 3
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 1:00:00 AM   
dghowell

Can you provide a little more detail as to your setup.

Is the connection to the internet like this:
DSL-> NIC1 (SmartHostPC) NIC2 -> NIC of Exchange

or is it:
DSL -> Firewall/switch -> NIC of Exchange

or another.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 4
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 1:05:00 AM   
adukart

my connection is DSL>firewall/router>exchange NIC

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 5
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 1:07:00 AM   
jokan

When you say your ISP gave you a static real ip is this the address to your isp's mail relay or the intended ip of your mail server?

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 6
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 1:18:00 AM   
adukart

OK, I'm not exactly sure how to answer that but I can try. My ISP told me that to setup exchange I need a real IP address and a domain name. They also said the IP address is being forwarded to my Exchange server through port 25 on my router. Hopefully that is the answer if it's not let me know. I do have another question though. With way I'm setup do I also need MX records? Or do I need to ask my ISP about that?

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 7
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 3:15:00 AM   
Digitalcandy

Exchange 2000 also uses UDP port 53 for name resolution. Make sure your ISP has that opened up on your router and make sure your firewall has it opened as well.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 8
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 4:09:00 PM   
jokan

This is my setup I hope it helps. And If I leave anything out or if there are otherways I hope someone else will chime in. I have my own External DNS server the only thing my ISP provides is the T1 and the External IP Addresses. Unless you use a POP3 Downloader, with I assume you aren't, for you to receive external email there has to be an external IP Address for a DNS MX record to point to or for a mail relay to forward to. I don't know about all firewalls but on a Proxy type firewall that static IP address would sit on the external interface and the MX records on the DNS or a relay would point to that IP address. When SMTP traffic is sent to that IP address and on that port (25) then the firewall forwards the request to the server you setup in the firewall.

By just opening port 25 on your firewall and not using some type of server mapping to send the SMTP requests. I'm afraid you opened port 25 to your whole network.

Again I'm not familiar with all types of firewalls this is just a very loose example of my setup. Hopefully others will share how their different firewalls work. Hope this helps...

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: John Anderson ]

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 9
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 6:00:00 PM   
adukart

I may try port 53 but other than that I still haven't gotten anywhere. If anyone knows what I have forgotten please let me know.

Thanks for all the replys.
Amy

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 10
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 6:37:00 PM   
Digitalcandy

Why are you setting up Connectors to forward to smart hosts? Maybe you need them but in many cases you don't.

Here is my situation;

Exchange2000 ---> firewall ---> DSL router ---> Internet

In my scenario I have TCP port 25 and UDP port 53 opened on my DSL router and forwarding requests to my firewall. My firewall then takes those port requests and forwards them to Exchange. Same happens for outgoing.

In my scenario, there is no need for SMTP connectors. By default Exchange2000 uses SMTP that can communicate with any other SMTP host regardless of operating system.

Make sure you open UDP 53. Maybe it is the connectors your using.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 11
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 6:54:00 PM   
adukart

What do you mean by 'forwarding requests to my firewall'? Is this a setup in Exchange? I am going to try removing my SMTP connector and opening port 53 but then what else do I need to do, if anything? I put an SMTP connector there because my ISP said I needed to, I told them I didn't but they insisted. I'll let you know what happens and please let me know if I do need to do anything else.

I greatly appreciate your help.
Amy

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 12
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 6:56:00 PM   
adukart

One more question. Do I need an MX record?

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 13
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 8:10:00 PM   
robert

Obviously you would need an mx record. Basically an MX record is a record in the DNS that shows where the mail of a certain domain should go. This normally would contain your public ip of the exchange server. If the MX record is not set you won't recieve any mails.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 14
RE: Sending and recieving external mail. - 11.Jan.2002 8:43:00 PM   
adukart

Ryan, thank you very much. After I removed the connector it's all working now.

Robert, I do not need an MX record because my ISP has already set that up in their DNS. But, thanks for the reply any way.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Sending and recieving external mail. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter