• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

IFS or M drive

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> IFS or M drive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IFS or M drive - 26.Feb.2002 1:10:00 AM   
my M drive is filling up. How do I get more space for it? My Partition the the stores are on has 20g of free space. But I dont know how to increase the M drive.
thanks
  Post #: 1
RE: IFS or M drive - 28.Feb.2002 12:22:00 AM   
koggen

Hi!

The M drive is just a virtual drive which is used by the exchange server. In other words you will always have as much free disk on the M drive as e.g. the C drive!

The reason why you are running out of space is most likely that you haven't backed up the Exchange log files. Check the directory c:\program files\exchsvr\mdbdata for log files. Most likely you'll find lots of 5120kB large log files. Exchange stores everything in a huge database. Every change (i.e. incoming, outgoing email etc) is stored in the database and the log files. The intention is to regulary backup the log files. So if for some reason the database file becomes corrupt you can restore the database (and thus all mailboxes) by restoring the log files and start a recovery install of exchange. Long explanation, but here to the point: you need to regulary backup the exchange log files! When you take a backup of the exchange data store exchange will automatically delete the log files and return used disk space. The simplest way to take a backup is to use the built in ntbackup utility. Run this from the exchange server, backup the information store (check Microsoft Exchange Server->"your server"->Microsoft Information Store) and backup to either a tape drive or another harddisk. As soon as the backup procedure finishes exchange will delete log files and return disk space.

Regards,

Johan

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> IFS or M drive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message