• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange IM over the Internet

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange IM over the Internet Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange IM over the Internet - 26.Jun.2002 2:30:00 PM   
tonyhake

IĂve been fighting to get Exchange IM working over the Internet with little luck. It is up and running internally just fine but users cannot log on when connected to their personal ISP.

The hardware configuration is a single server hosting Exchange as well as the IM product. Exchange SP2 is installed and the server does reside behind a firewall. Current configuration is as follows:

1) One Exchange IM virtual server has been setup; no routing server has been setup as ˘they say÷ this isnĂt necessary. Again, internally IM works fine.

2) An ˘A÷ record has been created in DNS for im.ourdomain.com and an SRV record for the rvp protocol has also been setup.
3) Web access from the outside to the server works perfectly fine as we use OWA as well.

4) The firewall topology has been specified in instant messaging settings on the server. I have tried it with and without.

5) The registry of the server has been modified to add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Instant Messaging and the dword PollSupport=1 has been entered.

6) The firewall has been modified to allow all inbound traffic on the single port I want to use for polling. Outbound traffic is unrestricted.

7) The domain password policy has been changed for reverse encryption and my test users have changed their passwords since then.

8) Workstation configuration varies and has been tried on a number of platforms including Win 98 and Win XP with the latest Exchange and MS client installed. The options in the client have been change to ˘Fixed Port÷ and the single port I opened on the firewall is specified in the to and from.

So, after all of this, when a user tries to login to the IM server from the Internet, they receive a long pause and then a message that says, ˘Signing into the Microsoft Exchange instant messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.÷

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Hake
Network Administrator
Colorado Doorways, Inc.
tony@NOSPAMcodoor.com
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange IM over the Internet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter