• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

New Exchange Server How To

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> New Exchange Server How To Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Exchange Server How To - 23.Jun.2003 10:19:00 PM   
seaeric

I've read the article describing how to setup an Exchange server to host your company's own email. Over all it seemed like a rather simple process, but wondered if there was alot more to it? I'm currently reading the Exchange Server 2000 Admin book by Bill English & Nick Calvalancia. I am almost done and feel like either I am making the task overly difficult or I am missing a bunch. Can anyone recommend a good "How To" ?? I definately want this to be secured so just throwing a server up to say I did it isn't an option "[Smile]"

Thanks,

Eric
Post #: 1
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 23.Jun.2003 10:44:00 PM   
ntwkprof

Eric,
Last week I purchased the ISA Server and Beyond book. This is the best "How To" book I've ever read! I learned more about setting up a secure Exchange mail server in this text then al of the other texts I've read on the topic. If you can swing a copy of ISA server...you can follow the step-by-step configurations in this book. I'm working on this now.

Good luck.

P.S. Did you try the CA backup software?

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 2
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 12:50:00 AM   
seaeric

Unfortunately we are on a very tight budget which means I only have W2K and Exchange 2000 to work with so hopefully there is a good book or "how to" on this subject.

I contacted the ref you gave me and they never called back with a contact for the software.

Thanks,

Eric

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 3
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 5:36:00 PM   
pvong

More importanly, did you set up your W2k server correctly? Is AD working fine without a problem? Is DNS working without problems? If all these are OK, then you shouldn't really have a problem with the Exchange install. Here are the things your must be ready for.

Make sure you do Domainprep and Forestprep before you install Exchange. This is a must!
http://www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=76&page=1

Make sure your Exchange server is not an open relay. Very very bad!
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF005.html

This is a good place to learn about exchange, but also look at these other sites!
http://www.2000trainers.com
http://www.slipstick.com/
http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Index.cfm?Ad=1
http://www.outlookexchange.com/Articles/home/default.asp

Good Luck!

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 4
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 6:16:00 PM   
seaeric

Thanks!

Yes I have AD and DNS installed and they appear to be working fine. I regularly review the event logs on a daily basis and the only entry's there have been researched and identified. I definately want this to be secure and stable. This will be my second W2K server so it will be a DC. My concern is, will this open up security issues being that it is a DC? or will applying patches and firewalling all ports except those needed for mail services be sufficient? I have fairly tight GPO's for my DC's and Workstations.

Thanks,

Eric

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 5
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 6:24:00 PM   
pvong

First of all, I'm confused about your comment. You're saying the new server will also be a DC? What's the first server then? Your first server should be your DC running AD and the second server shouldn't run anything but Exchange and IIS if you want to use OWA. Are both these servers at the same location or different locations?

Just make sure you have all the security patches and a good firewall should be OK. You can spend a lot of money on security, but that should be OK for a starter. Just make sure all your clients have a good virus scanner and make sure it's set to update for new data files and a regular basist.

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 6
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 7:16:00 PM   
seaeric

Both servers are in the same location. I am trying to remember th correct verbage, but I also would like to have the second server act as my backup DC. I know in W2K they don't call them that, but I know you can have either server that can provide DC service or just plain member servers.

THanks,

Eric

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 7
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 7:42:00 PM   
Hanover

Eric, in a way you are correct: in W2K there are no PDCs and BDCs like in NT4. In general, all DC's are generally equal however the first DC in your Domain carries the PDC roles (part of the FSMO roles). This means if you take down the first DC in your Domain without moving the FSMO roles to another DC, bad things will happen.

My belief is that you should have at least two DCs in your Domain. In addition, your Exchange 2000 server should be on a separate Member Server.

If both DCs are on the same LAN, I don't see any additional security problem (I use VPN for my WAN separated DCs).

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 8
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 7:51:00 PM   
seaeric

Thanks again. So in my situation. I can either have the exchange server be my second DC or just a member server. The problem is that I won't have 2 DC's. We are working with a tight budget and can't afford another copy/licenses of W2K Server. What would be the best practice in this situation? 1 DC & 1 Member Server or 2 DC's??

Thanks,

Eric

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 9
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 8:19:00 PM   
pvong

1 DC and 1 member server running Exchange. Are we talking about a lot of users? I always tell people that hardware is cheaper than software. I recommend buying a server with redundant systems...power supply, NIC...etc. Of couse must have a RAID system. As long as you take some precaution and buy redundant hardware that's reliable, you should be OK.

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 10
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 8:37:00 PM   
seaeric

I only have a small number of users (60 max). The main server is using a RAID 5 configuration with a hot spare standing by incase one drive fails. I've budgeted for about $4750 for the server alone, OS & Exchange already purchased. This server will be redundant PS, NIC, and drives. I will buy the most I can in terms of drives, using either RAID 5 or Mirroring with a hot spare. It sounds like keeping the exchange server a member server is very important, so I'll probably do it that way, especially since I've implemented hardware redundancy. I just want to make sure I cover my you know what for best practices incase something fails and mangement asks why it wasn't planned for and I can show them how it was planned for.

Thanks,

Eric

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 11
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 8:43:00 PM   
Hanover

When I set up my organization, I remember reading that as a best practice, Microsoft wants us to install Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 Member Server, not a Domain Controller. Now I can't find that article for the life of me.

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 12
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 9:59:00 PM   
seaeric

Thanks!

I forgot to ask pvong, but you mentioned a good virus scanner on the clients. What about the server itself? I've read that you need "special" AV protection for exchange because most AV software can mistake exchange data as a virus and hose your whole system. What do people recommend for the server itself?

Eric

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 13
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 10:18:00 PM   
Hanover

I've been using McAfee's GroupShield 5.2 for Exchange 2000 with good success. A little while ago, I had problems running GroupShield after updating my Exchange server to SP3. After a GroupShield hotfix, things have been running smoothly again.

This, along with AV on each workstation has helped to catch almost everything.

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 14
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 10:30:00 PM   
seaeric

Cool. I check into that. Do they charge you for each person who connects?? I am already running McAfee on all my desktops. I am just wondering how much they'll want to charge me for one Exchange server.

Thanks,

Eric

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 15
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 10:34:00 PM   
Brianw

Eric, just to put my two cents in.

We use Trend ScanMail for Exchange version 6.0 with much success. We then use the Officescan Corporate Edition for the desktops. HTH!

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 16
RE: New Exchange Server How To - 24.Jun.2003 10:37:00 PM   
pvong

I took an old computer, PII slow mhz and made it a gateway server.

I use Symantec Anti-Virus Corp Edition. This comes with client side virus checker for all users, Exchange virus Software (not really needed), SMTP Gateway software, and a couple of otehrs. I didn't think it was very expensive.

Symantec just came out with the lastest version to the SMTP gateway and it's version 3.1. It's awsome. I install this on an older computer and my firewall passes all emails to this server and here it it gets scanned for all viruses first and then it passes it on to your Exchange server. I don't like installing Antivirus software on the same machine running Exchange. I don't want anything running on the Exchange server except Exchange. The best part about this new version that just came out this month,.....you can have up to 3 different RBL checkers. My spam just dropped by 90+% since I installed the newest version. I like Symantec because they've been around and have a nice track record!

There are other options like GFI, which I hear a lot about but have never tested it. What ever you use, just make sure you update the data files constantly. Ex. My user's computers are all set up to check Symantec for updates every morning if they left their computer on over night. If they turned it off, it's also set up to always check for updates as part of the boot sequence.

(in reply to seaeric)
Post #: 17

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> New Exchange Server How To Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter