• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cleanup Agent

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Cleanup Agent Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cleanup Agent - 23.Feb.2004 9:48:00 PM   
nikolaiysambart

I am trying to find out some information about the Cleanup Agent in EX2K. Does anyone know anything about it? I can't seem to find any info on it and I don't want to run it without knowing what it does.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Cleanup Agent - 24.Feb.2004 1:12:00 AM   
mtravers

I am not in the office to check if we have any official documentation, but basically this is what it does

If you delete a mailbox, the mailbox does not immediately get purged because in E2k, by default deleted mailbox retention is set. This is a useful feature, because if a mailbox was mistakenly deleted it can be easily recovered.

So say you have a mailbox called Test that you just created. You send mail to Test and now the mailbox appears under Mailboxes for the appropriate mailbox store.

Now you delete the mailbox, but looking in the System Mgr, this Test mailbox is still there. If you run the cleanup agent, the mailbox will now appear, but with a red X. This means the mailbox has not been purged but is "disconnected" from its Active Directory account.

You now have the option to right click on the mailbox and purge it or reconnect it to an Active Directory account.

So in a nutshell, the cleanup agent refreshes the view of connected and disconnected mailboxes.

It does not stop any services and should not have any impact on server performance. Even running the cleanup agent, there may be a latency before the mailbox shows as disconnected due to DC replication.

Hope this helps

(in reply to nikolaiysambart)
Post #: 2
RE: Cleanup Agent - 25.Feb.2004 12:00:00 PM   
Victor Ivanidze

See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF012.html

Regards,

Victor Ivanidze,
software developer
www.ivasoft.biz

Post #: 3
RE: Cleanup Agent - 25.Feb.2004 2:35:00 PM   
nikolaiysambart

Thank you both, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Nik

Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Cleanup Agent Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll