• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

email duplicating

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> email duplicating Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
email duplicating - 6.Apr.2005 11:16:00 AM   
morfasie

Hi all,

we have small business server 2000 and exchange server 2000.

All our users use outlook 2000 or higher.

One of the users, when he mails, his emails get duplicated?

Why is that, and where can I start looking? He is the only one in the organisation

Thanks
Martin
Post #: 1
RE: email duplicating - 6.Apr.2005 6:43:00 PM   
catron37

Take a look at the Internet header of these duplicate messages and see if the Message ID is the same. If they are, that means that Exchange is resending the same message (corrupt message or so). If they have different Message ID, it can be a third party generating them. You can also enable message tracking and see how many emails leave your Exchange server from this user.
Ron

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 2
RE: email duplicating - 6.Apr.2005 9:24:00 PM   
morfasie

Hi thanks,

yes the message headers are the same now what?

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 3
RE: email duplicating - 7.Apr.2005 12:17:00 AM   
catron37

As I mentioned this looks like a corrupted message which gets processed multiple times by Exchange. It is strange that you say that all his messages get sent multiple times.
One way to fix this is to use Metaedit utility and check for this MessageID - it is kind of complicated though. Another one is to try to find these MessageIDs in the Queue folder under Mailroot/vsi 1/ and you can also empty out the Badmail folder at the same time.
Theoratically this is how it works:
Queue folder has the message and another copy of it is processed by the Categorizer and delivered. When it gets delivered the original one in the Queue is stamped for exctinction and deleted but if this one gets corrupted it looks like it was not processed and it tries to send it again. This is the general idea - that's why the same MessageID.
You can also try to rename vsi 1 folder to vsi 1.old after you shut down SMTP and upon restarting the service, it will create a new vsi 1 folder for you.

Ron

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 4
RE: email duplicating - 7.Apr.2005 2:01:00 AM   
catron37

Hi Morfasie,

Please disregard part of the previous posting.
Multiple copies of the same messages happens because of a third party software like AV resending these messages or corrupted messages.
One way to find out this is to look at the Internet header of one of this messages if it has the same message ID as the original one sent. If it does, than Exchange sent only one and the AV resents the copy. If it is different, than Exchange thinks that the message was not sent and it creates a new message with a different message ID. You can also enable Message tracking and see what you get from it.
So, try to shut down SMTP and rename vsi 1 folder than bring back SMTP service. You will have a new structure. Any corrupted message will stay in the old structure. Sometimes the corrupted message is in the metabase (IIS) so it is not that easy to remove them. It is interesting that all your messages get resent. Try to disable or uninstall the AV/Antispam if any and monitor your mailflow.
Ron

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 5
RE: email duplicating - 7.Apr.2005 10:54:00 AM   
morfasie

Hi I have looked at the message tracking, and yes when the users sends the email the first time, it is send to the to the store, submits it to advanced queuing,submits it to categorizer, delivers it to the local users in the organisation, then trasfers it to the saix network for the other users outside the organisation,

then suddenly it again submits it to the advanced queue, to the categorizer etc.

why is that?

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 6
RE: email duplicating - 7.Apr.2005 3:20:00 PM   
catron37

Since this is the only mailbox with problems, I would look into recreating this profile. His profile might be corrupted.
Have you also tried to rename vsi 1 folder?
Ron

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 7
RE: email duplicating - 7.Apr.2005 3:56:00 PM   
morfasie

Hi yes I have renamed vsi 1, I have purged the email box of this user, deleted his user in AC, and then recreated him.

Still it duplicates.

I really don't know anymore??

Thanks for all

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 8
RE: email duplicating - 7.Apr.2005 6:07:00 PM   
catron37

Try to disable any third party that you have running on Exchange and test again. Best thing is to uninstall though but you can try just to disable them.
Ron

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 9
RE: email duplicating - 11.Apr.2005 3:54:00 PM   
ajrobenaj

We also had a problem with one user and recreating the user didn't help. So instead of recreating, I renamed the user and that solved the problem.

(in reply to morfasie)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> email duplicating Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter