• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 30.Sep.2005 10:16:16 AM   
ferret999

We use Enterprise Vault I put it in about 12 months ago and when I did my research it was easily the best product out there. Admitidly I did my research some time before but it took me a while to get the budget approved. I looked at C2C and EAS and C2C did not even come close. EAS looked okay but it fell over a few times and did not have the polish of Enterprise Vault which also seemed much more robust although this was about 24 months ago.

As for my experiences with Enterprise Vault I have been really happy with it so far running version 5 sp3 with about 800 users 2 enterprise vault servers each running SQL and IIS and 160GB of archived mail on each across three sites in the UK.  The only problems I have are with the Outlook forms which seem to get corrupted quite a lot on the older versions of Outlook, we run Outlook 2000. However this problem is very easy to fix and does not seem to happen on the later versions of Outlook and when you exclude frmcache.dat and extend.dat from your anti virus scans. As for installation I found it very easy and the fact that it did not install anything on my Exchange servers was a real bonus. Hope this helps

(in reply to d.88)
Post #: 21
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 30.Sep.2005 11:35:40 AM   
d.88

I think you are right about the polish of KVS and I think 800 user is a managable size for them I think the issues come with multiple Exchange servers and high volumes of mails. EAS does not require any installation on Exchange and sems to manage large sites better.

(in reply to ferret999)
Post #: 22
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 3.Oct.2005 2:57:29 PM   
mgaines

Hello all:

My name is Mike Gaines, and I am a product manager at ZANTAZ with responsibility for the EAS product line.  Some of the preceding postings contain erroneous information about EAS, and some sound to me as though they are written under false pretenses.  After reading this thread, I felt compelled to openly identify myself and offer a suggestion. 

Email archiving is an increasingly important application that can save you a huge amount of money.  It is worthwhile to invest some time researching the alternatives to ensure that you deploy the best product for your requirements:

Consider all of your email practices – public folder usage, PST usage, shared mailboxes, journaling and anything else that you rely on.  Ensure that the archive solution won't impose constraints on those practices. 
Look particularly closely at the storage optimization features (Single Instance Storage, Attachment Splitting, compression, etc.), because most of the cost savings are driven by these optimizations. 
Ask about different modes of searching - everything from a single mailbox at a time to the entire body of archived information across multiple sites and multiple servers. 
Consider the administrative procedures for key processes such as backup to ensure that the solution will work in your environment. 
Project yourself 5 years into the future and imagine the number of users/geographical sites/mail messages that you'll need to support.
Probe into limits and maximums – number of email servers, number of users, number of archive objects, number of indexes, etc. 
Consider the ongoing management of your solution, including both the archived messages and the stubs in the user's mailboxes.  Effective retention management and controlled disposition is an important part of email management.

Regards,

Mike Gaines

Mod's note: Edited to remove marketing spiel. Please keep your comments relevant to the topic at hand. If you wish to advertise you can contact the advertising team for more information.

< Message edited by Michael Vella -- 28.Oct.2005 3:15:33 AM >

(in reply to neonblack)
Post #: 23
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 24.Oct.2005 12:10:04 PM   
jnutt

Hi All

I have two roles that require at least 1 years experience supporting Enterprise Vault up to 3rd level.  So far I have had trouble locating 2 people who would like to work in the South and who are available.  If anyone can help or are interested in an initial 6 month contract I would appreciate any information.

Thanks very much

Jon Nutt
Technical Recruiter

Allegis Group Ltd
230 Wharfedale Road, Winnersh Triangle, Wokingham
Berkshire, RG41 5TP, United Kingdom.
Email: jnutt@allegisgroup.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0)1183 779 821
Direct Tel: +44 (0) 1183 779 638
Fax: +44 (0)118 377 9901
Web: www.allegisgroup.co.uk
Allegis Group Ltd is an Employment Business and Agency.
Allegis Group Ltd is part of the Allegis Group Inc network of companies: Aerotek Inc, Mentor 4 Inc, TEKsystems Inc.

(in reply to ferret999)
Post #: 24
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 27.Oct.2005 1:24:39 PM   
Messy

Barnstaple,

where am i wrong technically please?  I really would hate to publish something that was wrong!  It's always helpful when you explain rather than just state.

I can understand your concerns as you make money out of all this.  Sadly I don't but possibly this affects you objectivity just a tad?

David
www.UDStech.com

(in reply to barnstaple)
Post #: 25
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 11.Nov.2005 3:37:01 PM   
barnstaple

David,

Don't be alarmed!  EAS uses MAPI & LDAP, not AVAPI - basic architecture 101.

Regards,
Barnstaple

Don't appreciate the objectivity swipe.

(in reply to Messy)
Post #: 26
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 11.Nov.2005 9:18:24 PM   
Messy

As far as I can remember when I looked at it (2 years ago!) EAS used AVAPI to get round the MAPI stamp on a mailbox.  A good idea (the MAPI stamp is extremely annoying) but possibly not supportable in the long run.  I'm getting old so possibly I remember wrong however my notes are designed to help people and not to sell a product.  My stance is independant and to be honest I think EAS is an excellent product with strong support that possibly eclipses some of it's rivals.

If you want your car upgraded you need to sell more EAS, so yes I do question your objectivity and no I don't care if it gives you the hump when I do so.  This is a forum for technical disussions, not for resellers to advertise products.

David
www.UDStech.com

(in reply to barnstaple)
Post #: 27
KVS Enterprise Vault - 1.Feb.2006 5:41:04 AM   
hwfranz2001

Hi,

since we have installed enterprise vault, I cannot print from outlook calendar if I don't select a sinlge appointment.
We often want to print a whole day, but it's boring when you always have to select an appointment before printing.
Can you help?

Hans-Werner
http://www.tollernet.de

(in reply to neonblack)
Post #: 28
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault - 4.Feb.2006 12:32:00 AM   
Messy

Hi Hans,

what version of the EV client are you using?  There are a few calendar bugs but supposed to all be ironed out if you can get to version 6 SP1.

similar posting here:

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4403303&#4403303

That's on Symantec's EV support forum which is pretty good these days - http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/forum.jspa?forumID=106&start=0

David
www.UDStech.com

(in reply to hwfranz2001)
Post #: 29
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 10.Apr.2006 6:42:29 PM   
BenyG

srasmus - in case you have this on email notify - could I draw your eye to my EAS post on this forum? Bearing in mind you said you know a lot about EAS I am sure you would be a great help!

Thanks,

(in reply to d.88)
Post #: 30
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 13.Apr.2006 6:52:38 PM   
Longstone

We're using Mimosa NearPoint . I'd never go back to KVS. No Journaling rquired, and "transaction log shipping" is awesome.

(in reply to BenyG)
Post #: 31
RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution - 14.Apr.2006 4:33:23 PM   
kevinmcse

Pricing is hard to come by because Symantec only authorizes a few vendors to give quotes on EV. I did get pricing recently on v6 and am in the process of evaluating some of the other products that have been mentioned here.

Without getting into the nitty gritty specifics of my quote the bottom line with PST migration, 1yr of support, Public Folder Archiving, the three day training course and 125 mailboxes was $11,000. I would think my installation is puny compared to some of the other posters so there may be some volume discounts at higher levels. Apparently EV is priced per 25 mailboxes at $799.00. Everything is a option with EV. It's easy to mix and match options.

You would also have to factor in a SQL lic because that’s what it uses for its database. I think all of them use some database technology of course. According to Exchange@PAM you can use msde (the free version of SQL) to manage their database.

(in reply to cocoonclubber)
Post #: 32

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> RE: KVS Enterprise Vault & EAS Archive Solution Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter