• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Relaying and POP3

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Relaying and POP3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Relaying and POP3 - 7.May2002 6:07:00 PM   
Wyle E. Coyote

I need to stop my server from having Open relay, however I have several pop3 clients without static IP addresses.

I'm running exchange 5.5 service pack 4, and I'm having a heck of a time stopping my open relay, and still letting my pop3 accounts send mail.

There's got to be something I'm missing.

Any information would be greatly apreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Relaying and POP3 - 8.May2002 6:23:00 PM   
In case you haven't already searched Microsoft, check out the link to the following Microsoft Tech Bulletin Q171032 at http://support.micros oft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q171032. It addresses part of your issue. Hope it helps.

(in reply to Wyle E. Coyote)
  Post #: 2
RE: Relaying and POP3 - 14.May2002 3:52:00 PM   
hAkron

one way to handle this situation is to block relay to all users unless authenticated. This is the first check box under your routing restrictions tab. Then have all of your users check the "my outgoing mail server requires authentication"

Another way to skin this cat is to have your users configure their mail client to use you as their POP3 server, and their ISP's mail server for SMTP. Most ISPs allow mail across their SMTP servers from anybody on their network.

Post #: 3
RE: Relaying and POP3 - 15.May2002 2:07:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

Ok good point, but I have the same thread in the MS Exchange 5.5 section and havent seem to have this answered yet....

I agree with your ideas but I have a pop3 server and my clients vary from Mac to Pcs. Almost all of the clients used do not support the "Auth before sending mail option" Their has to be a way to avoid other servers/users from using out exchange server as a relay for spam.

I hear of something that when you check for mail using the pop3 it adds your IP address to an allow list then you can start sending mail using the pop3 relay. This is a great idea but havent found the 3rd party s.w for this yet.

any other idea..... [Razz]

Post #: 4
RE: Relaying and POP3 - 15.May2002 2:26:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

I found this too but dunno were to get more info on this... it sounds like a good idea too.....

"The only other way to "verify" the sender would be to do a reverse domain lookup on them before accepting messages. But if you turn off relay, that should be good enough. The IP address of the sender will show up in the message header if you need it."

Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Relaying and POP3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter