• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Question with Accessing AOL.COM

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Question with Accessing AOL.COM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question with Accessing AOL.COM - 31.Mar.2003 10:43:00 PM   
ebunky

I have an E2K server running on a cable broadband connection using a dynamic IP address. Recently, I have noticed mail being delayed, then undeliverable destined for AOL.COM (all other domains are OK). Upon investigation, I have found that they do NOT accept email from dynamic IP's. I got the following error when I telnetted to one of AOL's SMTP boxes:

550-The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is an IP address owned
550-by ATTBI/Comcast and is either open to the free relaying of e-mail,
550-is serving as an open proxy, or is a dynamic (residential) IP address.
550-AOL cannot accept further e-mail transactions from your server until
550-either your server is closed to free relaying/proxy, or your provider
550-removes your IP address from their list of dynamic IP addresses. For
550-additional information, please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com
550-or contact your network support organization at
550-security_ldc@cable.comcast.com.
550 Goodbye

Any ideas how I can overcome this issue other than getting a static IP? Can I set up a relay for mail destined for AOL.COM and use my ISP's SMTP server? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
Michael
michael@ebunky.com
Post #: 1
RE: Question with Accessing AOL.COM - 8.Apr.2003 3:39:00 PM   
ntsamurai

Have you had any other issues with comcast on your cable modem in the past? Have the for any reason shut down your modem and then turned in later? Are you using DNS assigned numbers from your dynamic number? Dispite comcast giving out Dynamic numbers, do you have it statically in your computer?
Out in Michigan I have several friends whom use comcast cable to host mail.Dispite giving dynamic numbers they don't change, or rarely change. But all of them have never had any issues sending mail off to aol.
Sometimes they do aduits on their system, but I don't see how aol could or even want to manage ip address whom people whom want to host their own email severs.

For testing purposes you could try statically installing the IP for a short while and see if it works then. I don't see why it would be heck anything goes.

(in reply to ebunky)
Post #: 2
RE: Question with Accessing AOL.COM - 1.May2003 6:15:00 PM   
I think this is something new. I don't send to AOL users myself (I personally don't even like typing those three evil letters [Smile] but my cousin was having problems from his home and I checked it out and found I had the same issue.

You may be able to set a routing connector to have all aol.com email forward to comcasts smtp server. It will all depend on whether or not comcast requires authentication - I don't think it does as long as you're on their network.

Matt

(in reply to ebunky)
  Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Question with Accessing AOL.COM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter