• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

mdbdata logs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> mdbdata logs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mdbdata logs - 28.Apr.2003 5:08:00 PM   
asensi

Ok, this one has got me stumped. Before everyone points to me and asks me if I have backed up my logs.. yes, I run veritas and my committed logs are flushed every night.

Ok this is where it gets really strange. For some reason every Sunday morning around 3:45 - 6:00 a.m my exchange server decides to generate 8+9 gigs worth of exxxxx.logs. Causes the logging drive to fillup withing 4 hours and poof crashes the mailstore. That being said, I then checked the SMTP log just in case we had a spammer using our relay, but we are locked down to IP blocks. I have tested using Open relay checked and all times show that the relays are closed.

Now the strange thing is that I have checked the some of these exXXXXX.logs that are being generated. They contain vast amounts of old email messages that are months old. Other odd thing is that there is nothing to suggest that it's any particular mailbox causing the information to log all this traffic. If anybody has any suggestions on this I would really appreciate it.
Post #: 1
RE: mdbdata logs - 28.Apr.2003 7:51:00 PM   
koggen

Well, I must say that it certainly sounds like a solid case of virus scanning software that runs every sunday! Never, never, ever run file based virus scanning software on an Exchange server. Always use a SMTP based scanner instead! If you for some reason need to run a file based scanner (e.g. if you use the Exchange server as a file server as well) always make sure to exclude the Exchange directory and the M: drive! Especially the M: drive is notoriously known for causing problems with scanners.

Good luck!

Johan

[ April 28, 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Johan Sandqvist ]

(in reply to asensi)
Post #: 2
RE: mdbdata logs - 29.Apr.2003 10:53:00 PM   
asensi

Interesting, we do run Symantec Corporate Edition + the SMTP filtering on Exchange. All these were configured to exclude Exchange directories. This server has been running for almost a year without any problems. I will however remove the Symantec Corporate Edition all together and see if this stops the problems. Thanks for the suggestion and I will let you know.

(in reply to asensi)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> mdbdata logs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter