• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Partition M missing on Exchange Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Partition M missing on Exchange Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Partition M missing on Exchange Server - 2.Apr.2004 4:03:00 PM   
Insomniac

Hey guys, recently at work our Windows 2000 mail server got infected by various viruses simultaneously, even though the latest Norton Antivirus patches had been installed a few hours before. Viruses included Netsky and Bagle (many different versions of each).

Either due to the virus activity, or from the process of removing the viruses, the drive M no longer exists and no-one is receiving any emails. Looking at several sites they say it's best to stop all IIS services, rename the metabase.bin file in the system32 folder and replace it with one from a backup. We did this and it made no difference.

It is also worth noting that the 'Activity' light on the front of the server is blinking constantly, and the machine is running extremely slow (i.e. we wait 5 minutes for a reaction from any mouseclick or keystroke). We have several 'safe' backups from previous days, but do not know whether a reinstall of the C drive will help (or what, in fact, it will acheive). Basically we are stuck - we were up til 5:30am last night with so-called 'expert' technicians from our harware supplier, and the problem is still the same.

Any serious comment would be REALLY appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Post #: 1
RE: Partition M missing on Exchange Server - 2.Apr.2004 5:35:00 PM   
Insomniac

Found that a service called MTA Stacks that has something to do with x.400 services that was not running. Disactivated IIS services, activated the MTA Stack, activated the IIS services and . . . everyone starts receiving mail! Weird. What worries me though, is the number of viruses that we were unable to remove with either Norton or Panda. Any advice?

(in reply to Insomniac)
Post #: 2
RE: Partition M missing on Exchange Server - 20.May2004 3:38:00 PM   
stephenneal

That sounded like a fairly nasty problem!

We haven't got a full exchange implementation here yet but I recently installed the April 2004 Rollup which warned me that I may have to manually restart a service associated witht the M drive with some special command strings.

It pointed me to a M$ KB article which explained what to do.

It sounds like the service for the M drive was stoppped (like you said).

Glad its sorted I know Exchange can be a right b****!

(in reply to Insomniac)
Post #: 3
RE: Partition M missing on Exchange Server - 23.Jun.2004 8:19:00 AM   
If you are running Norton, it quarantines a file in the mdbdata folder. I believe it's edb.chk. release it from quarantine and restart exchange services. Also exclude that folder from Norton's Anti Virus.

(in reply to Insomniac)
  Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Partition M missing on Exchange Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter