• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Invalid Certificate error??

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Invalid Certificate error?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invalid Certificate error?? - 9.Sep.2004 6:55:00 PM   
CJMail

I have an Outlook 2002 user that is getting an "Invalid Certificate", "Microsoft Outlook could not sign or encrypt this email message" error whenever she tries to send an email. This error according to her just started appearing. We are not configured for secure email transfers, nor do I want this configured for this network. There appears to be no other user on the network having this issue. What do I need to do in order to get her to where she can send emails from Outlook? If some setting was change somehow, then it only affected her. We are curretnly not using any security certificates within our Exchange server or email clients, so I don't know where this error came from. We currently are running Exchange 2000.
Post #: 1
RE: Invalid Certificate error?? - 20.Sep.2004 11:36:00 AM   
mark@mvps.org

In Outlook on Options > Security, what's ticked and what isn't?
The set of boxes at the top should only have the 3rd one ticked by default.

(in reply to CJMail)
Post #: 2
RE: Invalid Certificate error?? - 22.Oct.2004 2:59:00 PM   
stevenalker

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Arnold [MVP]:
In Outlook on Options > Security, what's ticked and what isn't?
The set of boxes at the top should only have the 3rd one ticked by default.

Mark. I picked up on this thread having developed the same problem in the last month (Post SP2, I think)

I get the error "Invalid Certificate" "Microsoft Outlook could not sign or encrypt this message"...from email address (default) certificates invalid or expired etc.

I don't use certificates, the appearance of the error message does not seem to follow any rule, though it is usually after receiving mail. The incoming mail is not bearing a certificate and read-reply has not been requested by the sender.

Tools > Options > Security has the default (3rd box) boxes ticked.

Once I have cleared the error message, it recurrs - possibly in proportion to the number of unread emails.

AVG informs me that nothing has hijacked my Outlook account, my SMPT server is disconnected and IIRS is not activated.

Out of interest, yours is the only posting I've seen on this subject, so the problem may be rare or recent!

Any ideas?

Steve Alker

(in reply to CJMail)
Post #: 3
RE: Invalid Certificate error?? - 6.Dec.2004 9:12:00 AM   
Hi,
I have also seen this error twice on our network now.
Also running outlook 2002 and exchange 2000.

One was fixed by a local profile rename and gpupdate.

However this did not resolve the second user.
All our office settings are enforced by policies, so she will have the same as eveyone else.

This does seem to be a fairly rare problem as not many things are coming up in the search engines.

Swaffs

(in reply to CJMail)
  Post #: 4
RE: Invalid Certificate error?? - 10.Jan.2005 5:39:00 PM   
We recently had a client with this problem, and under tools -> security tab she had checked "add digital signature to outgoing messages," but we were not using digital signatures.

(in reply to CJMail)
  Post #: 5
RE: Invalid Certificate error?? - 14.Feb.2005 10:31:00 AM   
alaa_aqraa@hotmail.com

hello:
i have this messege apearing on my screen "invalid certificate" i cant send any emails does any body know to fix it???

(in reply to CJMail)
Post #: 6
RE: Invalid Certificate error?? - 27.Feb.2005 11:23:00 PM   
stevenalker

Thanks for all the suggestions, tried all but to no avail!

I think I've solved it though. I'm beta testing Blinkx, the search engine, which I use to index my network drives.(www.blinkx.com) I also use LookOut to index Microsoft Outlook and any other text or Microsoft document on the network.

Blinkx appears to produce the invalid certificate errors in Outlook. They stop when Blinkx is turned off. As Blinkx is widely used now, I find it hard to believe that it has a problem with Outlook and I am investigating if it is the case that Blinkx interferes with Lookout's index functions to produce the troublesome invalid certificate errors.

I don't want to disable Lookout as it can find an old email, text document, .doc, .xls or many other files from a boolean context search of content, author, date, subject, to:, from: and anything else you can think of. [Smile]

Likewise Blinkx has a lot of potential as it can act as a local search engine to find documents matching complex criteria. To think about it, so can Lookout, but Blinkx has an added simultanious web function.

Besr regards

Steve

(in reply to CJMail)
Post #: 7
RE: Invalid Certificate error?? - 7.Apr.2005 3:24:00 PM   
Steve - Thanks for the tip re Blinkx - I've been having the same problem with invalid certificate errors in Outlook. Disable Blinkx and all is well again.

Have you been able to identify any further detail? Like you, I would like to be able to use Blinkx.

Regards,

Nick.

(in reply to CJMail)
  Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Invalid Certificate error?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter