• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

users can't access mailbox?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> users can't access mailbox? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
users can't access mailbox? - 3.Feb.2002 8:47:00 AM   
miken05

Hi,

I have a problem where users cannot access their mailboxes through OWA. The mailboxes are there, as I can log into them remotely using an domain admins login.

The users who cannot login get access denied errors. They are members of Domain Users.
I added one user to domain administrators group, but this did solve the problem. I added a new user and set up a mailbox for him but he could not access either, even though i could.

Could someone please tell me where the security setting is I need to administer?

Don't know if this makes a difference, but I had to reinstall ISA server, and since this happened it seems the problem is occurring, as these mailboxes worked before this.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Post #: 1
RE: users can't access mailbox? - 5.Feb.2002 6:10:00 AM   
I assume this is a Member Server?

Add a user to the Local Administrator Group. Then test. Users for OWA must have these Rights:

1. access this computer from the network
2. log on as a batch job
3. log on locally

Then add the IUSR_machinename account to the Local Admin Group.

(in reply to miken05)
  Post #: 2
RE: users can't access mailbox? - 5.Feb.2002 7:39:00 AM   
miken05

Thanks a lot for your reply. Helped heaps.
Can you please clear something up for me though?

If I make a local group on the Exchange server (yes, a member server), and add the OWA users from the domain to it, then add the group to the local admins then it works fine.

If I just set up the three settings you mentioned on the new group, it does not.

1. access this computer from the network
2. log on as a batch job
3. log on locally

When you say add IUSR_MachineName to the local admins, do you mean IUSR_[ExchangeServer] or IUSR_[DomainController]?

I have tried both and they didn't work?

I would like to not have to add every user to the admin group on the exchange server if possible :|

(in reply to miken05)
Post #: 3
RE: users can't access mailbox? - 5.Feb.2002 8:31:00 AM   
Your close.

Anonymous users use the iusr account to log on, they are then prompted for credentials. I believe you should only have to add iusr_exchangebox to local admin, as that would preserve Domain Security. I'm not positive, but I think its iusr_exchangebox.

Whenever you make changes, stop/restart WWW Service

(in reply to miken05)
  Post #: 4
RE: users can't access mailbox? - 7.Feb.2002 7:10:00 AM   
I've been fighting a similar problem since I installed SP2. Admins can always use OWA. Regular users can for several hours after a reboot. Then they get access denyed. Very strange. I'm on 2000 with Exchange 2000.

(in reply to miken05)
  Post #: 5
RE: users can't access mailbox? - 7.Feb.2002 9:15:00 AM   
I think you should check to see whether you've been infected by Nimda virus.

(in reply to miken05)
  Post #: 6
RE: users can't access mailbox? - 7.Feb.2002 7:29:00 PM   
jhand

OWA users don't need local logon access to your exchange box as long as your exchange box has access to a Domain Controller to authenticate people.

ISA server probably locked-down some of the accounts and directories that worked before. You may be best to reinstall e2k over the existing installation or call Microsoft tech support and have them try to diagnose the issue. Sometimes, days have been saved by just calling them and paying the $245 instead of wasting time on things that didn't work just to have to call them anyway in the end.

It's definately a credentials issue, but there are many directories affected in the Inetpub area by OWA and it might be extremely time consuming to chase them all down.

-Jason

(in reply to miken05)
Post #: 7
RE: users can't access mailbox? - 12.Feb.2002 2:49:00 PM   
I found the answer to my problem a few days ago and have been running since.

As best as I can tell, the license files on the Domain License Controller had gotten corrupted. The service was in a constant "Starting" stage; no errors or timeouts on that server. The Exchange logs showed one licensing warning after a restart, then nothing!

Since the service wouldn't start or stop, I had to disable the license service on the main server. I rebooted to release the files that it held open, killed the licensing files (I found them listed on Microsoft support), restarted the service, and readded the licenses.

(in reply to miken05)
  Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> users can't access mailbox? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter