• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA Setup (Full Exchange?)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 11.Apr.2002 1:22:00 PM   
jgwoods

I think I am in deep dodo and need some info.

When upgrading our network to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000, I recieved approval to finally setup dedicated WEB Servers. We have firewalls that provide DMZ. I setup the web server with Win2K Server but am now lost. I assumed that OWA with Exchange 2000 was like Exchange 5.5 that you could just install the OWA and away you went. Do I need a fll Exchange 2000 Server for the WEB Server (I guess this is what they call the Front End Server, right?) Please tell me it isn't so as everything will go down the tubes. We do not have the money for additional Exchange Servers to do this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? PLEASE.

Thanks in advance

Glenn
Post #: 1
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 11.Apr.2002 1:39:00 PM   
koggen

Hi!

Yes, you will need a full Exchange server license for the front-end server. Even worse, you'll need an Enterprise License, not just the basic Exchange server license. IMHO this is the single most important drawback in Exchange 2000 compared to 5.5.

Regards,

Johan

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 11.Apr.2002 3:14:00 PM   
jgwoods

Then the project just went down the tube and isn't going to happen. It was hard enough getting true firewalls in here and getting the upgrades approved. There is no wany that we can afford additional server licesing (especially Enterprise). We are an 80 person company with three small offices and need to buy Exchange Enerprise, c'mon. That's ridiculous. Great Design Microsoft.

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 11.Apr.2002 5:19:00 PM   
speedracercjr

I agree 150%. You would think you could buy a middle option where you can get just FE/BE for maybe like 2K instead of 5K. I mean what kind of 100-200 employee company is going to have a database of over 16GB????????

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 10.May2002 2:24:00 PM   
Rather than buying another ex2k license, you could use reverse proxy on your proxy-server.

It checks all incoming requests for /exchange and forwards it to the apropriate Ex2k server.
The Proxy is installed in the DMZ, so it is safe there.

Works fine with ISA

(in reply to jgwoods)
  Post #: 5
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 10.May2002 6:51:00 PM   
speedracercjr

Or you could setup SSL on your e2k server and just creat a simple re-direct on your web server...that's what we are doing and it works fine!

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 6
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 12.May2002 6:11:00 AM   
fedsysgrp.com

Just completed the same config that Cory spoke of works fine with only (1) e2k box.

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 7
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 17.Jun.2002 8:48:00 PM   
ghoti69

I've tried re-directing requests that come in from the Internet on port 81 back to my Exchange server's port 80. It mostly works, I can log in and get the panes where the info is supposed to be, but nothing within except 404 File Not Found errors. Anyone have any ideas on it?

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 8
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 20.Jun.2002 5:45:00 PM   
genenius

If you redirect the traffic, then you would eliminate the need for the front-end server. You could set up a site on your existing server to just redirect, because even if you had an exchange front-end server, it's pretty much useless if all you're doing is redirecting, because all the actual IIS work is still being done on the Exchange Back-end server. I mean, i do agree with you all, Microsoft's Licensing schemes aren't the greatest or the most fair...

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 9
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 5.Nov.2002 9:38:00 PM   
rhampton

To Glenn and everyone else,

I also have the same predicament. I am interested to hear how you resolved it without the purchase of Exchange Enterprise. Did you use some kind of IIS redirection and if so how. I have an IIS server in the DMZ. I really need to use OWA on Exchange standard edition on a single server but something tells me putting the whole server in the DMZ is exposing the server to too greater security risk. Can someone explain to me as well why this is not a good idea ?

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 10
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 14.Nov.2002 4:17:00 PM   
space

We had the same problem here.
We use Exch 5.5 OWA to act as the Front-end in the DMZ and it works great!

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 11
RE: OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) - 6.Jun.2005 11:18:00 PM   
penola

are there any articles or more info anywhere on using the iis in dmz redirect option? I would like to go this way myself as there is no way we can afford a second exchange licence .. and our dmz is 2003 anyways and we dont' want to upgrade exchange just for OWA access

any more pointers on this configuration would be great

(in reply to jgwoods)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA Setup (Full Exchange?) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter