• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Web Access take the place of VPN??

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Web Access take the place of VPN?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Web Access take the place of VPN?? - 28.Oct.2002 1:26:00 PM   
Fishwagon

Hello all,

Right now we have Web Access, but if you are not on your laptop, there is obviously no VPN capability if you need a file from the network. Right now, we call the office, and have someone email it to us, then we grab if from the web client.

Someone mentioned to me that I can use Web Access (which we already use) to give access to our network shares, negating the need for VPN access to those shares.

I've looked but cannot find anything to support this. Does anyone have any insight to this? Everyone loves the web access, but if I can provide our network to them as well, without having to setup a VPN connection, that would be great. Provided of course, that it's secure.

We use Exchange2000 on Win2000

Thanks to all...

Rich
Post #: 1
RE: Web Access take the place of VPN?? - 20.Nov.2002 6:37:00 AM   
jaguarron

This isn't true of Outlook Web Access.

It's possible that somebody heard something about SharePoint Team Services (part of Office XP). I had some users recently come back from a free Microsoft seminar (where "seminar" means "sales pitch"). Naturally, the presenters oversimplified the technical issues, so the users came back and declared that Office XP eliminates the need for a VPN.

I chalked it up to confused users until I saw your post. Maybe there's some Microsoft sales guy churning out misleading PowerPoint slides with this theme.

(in reply to Fishwagon)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Web Access take the place of VPN?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter