• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA and Hotmail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA and Hotmail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA and Hotmail - 12.May2003 5:07:00 PM   
DannyS

OWA is great to use. But one big thing is that you have to have Outlook 2000 or Office 2k or above installed on the computer. Let's say if one of my sales men is now overseas and happened to find a computer somewhere to check his email using IE. What if that computer doesn't have Outlook 2k installed? and that could be in the most instances.

Meanwhile, Hotmail is different. You just need an Internet browser to check your Hotmail. I think it's easier for roaming users than OWA.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make OWA function just as simple as Hotmail. Anyone ever had the same thought or actually did it?

Thanks for your advice.

Danny
Post #: 1
RE: OWA and Hotmail - 13.May2003 11:33:00 AM   
pinball

Hi DannyS,

I access my work OWA from home and that is using a linux box, no MS Office or Outlook in sight. The whole point of OWA (in my mind) was for exactly the reason you have outlined.

What problems are you having that makes you think office/outlook is required?

(in reply to DannyS)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA and Hotmail - 14.May2003 4:05:00 AM   
DannyS

Hi,

I've never used OWA on a Linux box, but I used that on a Win2K machine that already has MS Office 2k installed. The first time I used OWA on that machine, it prompted me for a installation CD of Office2K which I then put into Cd-rom. It copied over some files then the OWA started working fine.

Danny

[ May 14, 2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: DannyS ]

(in reply to DannyS)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA and Hotmail - 14.May2003 5:07:00 AM   
steve k.

if you cancell the request for a CD it will still work. not sure what it needs to install, but it will work without it. It is a pain to click the Cancell button every time

steve

(in reply to DannyS)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA and Hotmail - 21.May2003 10:52:00 AM   
I Danny,

I think the reason of the Office CD request is that office install a SP of IE if you have the base Windows 2k IE. Try to install the LATEST IE version over a fresh win2k install and then use OWA.

(in reply to DannyS)
  Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA and Hotmail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter