• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 9.Jan.2004 1:24:00 AM   
pulliamf

Hello, I am trying to get OWA to work on my live web, however the Exchange settings are on the Default web. I followed instructions from another post to change the master properties in the services tab and I deleted the exchange files from the Default web. However when I rebooted, it put them back in the default web. Then I deleted the Default web completely and tried to reboot again and it created a new web #1 and put the exchange files in it. Also one other thing is after I did that when I reboot it has my live web stopped. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 9.Jan.2004 8:03:00 AM   
Henrik Walther

You add OWA directories to other sites in IIS via the Exchange System Manager, NOT through the IIS Manager.

You do this by creating the OWA directories under Protocols > HTTP > Exchange Virtual Server

Simply right-click the Exchange Virtual Server > choose New > Virtual Directory...

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 9.Jan.2004 3:35:00 PM   
faptap97

Thanks for the info, but I need to move the directories from the default web, not add directories. The directories work fine locally I just need to move them to my main web so i can access them via the internet.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 9.Jan.2004 8:15:00 PM   
atguilmette

Are you trying to move OWA from one server to another?

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 9.Jan.2004 9:34:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

You can't move them from one site to another, you will need to add them to the new site, then if its required disable them from the Default Website.

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 9.Jan.2004 10:00:00 PM   
faptap97

I tried to do that by creating new virtual directories, but when I did it just came up in a list and the outlook interface was not there. I just saw the different items listed.

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 6
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 11.Jan.2004 9:54:00 AM   
Henrik Walther

Came up in a list...

I don't understand what you mean ?

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 7
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 12.Jan.2004 3:46:00 PM   
faptap97

It is coming up as the following when I try to access it via the web - any suggestions? - thanks again

www.abcd.com - /exchange/frank/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[To Parent Directory]
Wednesday, January 07, 2004 <dir>Calendar

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 <dir> Contacts

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 <dir> Deleted Items

Tuesday, August12, 2003 <dir> Drafts

Wednesday, January 07, 2004 <dir> Inbox

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 <dir> Journal

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 <dir> Notes

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 <dir> Outbox

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 <dir> SentItems

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 <dir> Tasks

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 8
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 12.Jan.2004 8:22:00 PM   
atguilmette

You are going to have to keep the default web site components on your Exchange server if you want HTTP access (even if you want another server to act as the front end processor). Exchange automatically sets them up, and they will be set up each time you reboot your server. Fortunately, the OWA site components don't live in the root directory of the default web site; they live in the /Exchange virtual directory, leaving you the ability to host a site or other content in your default web.

If, however, you want to put your Exchange system behind a firewall or segregate it somehow, you can do the following to create a redirect on your external box:

On the new IIS Server:

1. Start > Administrative Tools > Internet Services Manager
2. Navigate to "Default Web Site" (which is probably what you're using), and right-click > New > Virtual Directory.
3. On the first screen, click Next.
4. On the second screen, select a name for your virtual directory (for example, owa) and click Next.
5. Enter a path to a directory (doesn't matter where because it's going to be changed in a minute) on your machine. For example, C:\Inetpub\WWWroot, and click Next.
6. Ensure that the "Run" and "Run Scripts (such as ASP)" boxes are checked and click next.
7. Click Finish.
8. Right-click > Properties on the new owa virtual directory.
9. On the first tab, "Virtual Directory," select the "A redirection to a URL" radio button.
10. In the "Redirect to:" text box, type the address of your OWA server (such as http://servername/exchange) and then check the box "A directory below this one."

That should at least get you started. It may take some fiddling around.

[ January 12, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: atguilmette ]

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 9
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 12.Jan.2004 8:40:00 PM   
faptap97

Still having problems -

I deleted the default web when I was trying to get OWA set up on the secondary web (Live Web). I had OWA working internally if they hit the IP of the "Default Web". However I followed instructions in a post on this forum to change the Master Properties>Service Tab> Default Web Site to the one I wanted the Exchange Virtual directories on. Then I rebooted the server. It put the exchange virtual directories back into the default web site. So i deleted the Default Site all together and it created a new site upon reboot. Now I created new virtual directories in the live web site, but I can only access them through the directories layout above. Please Help. Thanks Again

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 10
RE: Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help - 17.Jan.2004 1:52:00 AM   
koggen

Best way is still to change the Master Properties and change the Default Web Site. I've used that many times and it has always worked. If you create new virtual directories OWA won't work, as you have noticed. To make things work again you must make sure that the /exchange and /public virtual directories are configured to only allow authenticated access *and* you must configure the site's ISAPI filters to use the "Microsoft Exchange Web Component" filter. Open up the site's properties and go to the ISAPI tab. Click Add and enter the filter name and "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\exchfilt.dll" as executable. Priority is "Low" on my server but I don't know how to change that it if it's not set as default.

// Johan

(in reply to pulliamf)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Moving Exchange from Default Web - Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter