404 page not found for some messages, not all (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access

mmarnell -> 404 page not found for some messages, not all (13.Sep.2004 9:55:00 PM)

I am getting a HTTP 404 - File not found error for only a couple of messages when I try to open them using OWA. I am using SSL, Exchange Server 2000. The 2 messages that I can find that this is happening with both have attachements. One attachment is a small Word document and the other is a .vcf business card. One attachment is 29 KB and the other is 229 KB.

Anyone have any ideas why certain messages don't display in OWA?

Thank you,
Mike

Guest -> RE: 404 page not found for some messages, not all (14.Sep.2004 2:19:00 PM)

Im getting something similar. It seems to be related to soecial characters in the subject for me. If the subject contains more than one full stop in a row or an apersand (&) symbol you get a 404 when trying to view the e-mail.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

mmarnell -> RE: 404 page not found for some messages, not all (14.Sep.2004 4:59:00 PM)

Interesting that you mention special characters. I went back through the emails that weren't opening and noticed that every email that has a subject that ends in a period (.) is unable to be displayed.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Is this a bug?

Mike

mmarnell -> RE: 404 page not found for some messages, not all (14.Sep.2004 5:17:00 PM)

I found this info. it looks like this is a function of URLScan in the IIS lockdown tool. This is by design within the IIS lockdown tool.
"Blocked E-Mail
The [DenyUrlSequences] section of the URLScan.ini file, lists characters that are explicitly blocked can potentially affect access to OWA. Any e-mail subject or mail folder name that contains any of the following character sequences is blocked:

./

\

%

&

Note: The ".." in the URLScan.ini file will block e-mail messages with a subject line that ends with a period character."

I found this within this document:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/mailexch/opsguide/e2ksec03.mspx

Mike

Guest -> RE: 404 page not found for some messages, not all (3.Nov.2004 5:28:00 PM)

Thanks Mike!
I had narrowed it down to the characters, but was not aware of the urlscan doing this. I did run the ISS lockdown tool recently, so this makes perfect sense.

Thanks again!
John
http://whipnet.com

Guest -> RE: 404 page not found for some messages, not all (3.Dec.2004 12:50:00 PM)

Hi,
thanks it had been of great help. a dot "." in the subject does prevents it from opening up.

Mister784 -> RE: 404 page not found for some messages, not all (20.Jan.2005 11:06:00 AM)

Ok, I'm having this problem too. So can I just delete the offending lines from the urlscan.ini file?

And one more thing... I have an urlscan.ini on my exchange server which runs IIS and I have an urlscan.ini file on our ISA server (a different machine).

Which of these servers is causing the mails with a . in the subject to not be opened? In other words do I edit the file on exchange or the one on ISA?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

jouko -> RE: 404 page not found for some messages, not all (27.Jan.2005 10:08:00 AM)

Hi,
Have this prob too. Messages with dot "." at end of subject field not opened. I edit %systemroot%\system32\Inetsrv\Urlscan\urlscan.ini
like this..

[DenyUrlSequences]
.. ; Don't allow directory traversals
>
[DenyUrlSequences]
;.. ; Don't allow directory traversals

and restart IIS service. Now it's working fine...

Page: [1]