• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Access Denied

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Access Denied Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Access Denied - 27.Oct.2004 8:30:00 PM   
dickdl

I am getting an Access Denied error after trying three times to enter username password and domain. If I make the user a member of the Domain Admins group it works fine. I have checked all the policies (log on locally, log on as batch, access this computer from network). I have checked all the various permissions discussed in MS articles (293386, 327843, etc.) and can find no reason it should not be working. I am getting desperate. Can anyone help with something I might have missed?
Post #: 1
RE: Access Denied - 2.Nov.2004 1:23:00 PM   
dickdl

Here is what fixed this problem for me. It was the MIME map setting. Removing the .* entry solved the problem.

(in reply to dickdl)
Post #: 2
RE: Access Denied - 2.Nov.2004 1:25:00 PM   
dickdl

Here is the entire solution.

PROBLEM: Clients not able to access OWA

CAUSE: MIME setting were incorrect error 401.5 was creating problem

RESOLUTION:

- Modify the authentication methods for the Exchange virtual directory and for the Public virtual directory in Exchange System Manager.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
- Expand Servers, expand Server Name , expand Protocols, expand HTTP, and then expand Exchange Virtual Server.
- Under Exchange Virtual Server, right-click Exchange, and then click Properties.
- Click the Access tab, and then click Authentication.
- Click to select the Basic authentication check box if it is not already selected.
- In the Default domain box, type the network basic input/output system (NetBIOS) name of your domain, or type a backslash if it is not already there.
- Click OK two times to close the property windows.
- Right-click the Public virtual directory, and then click Properties.
- Click the Access tab, and then click Authentication.
- Click to select the Basic authentication check box if it is not already selected.
- In the Default domain box, type the NetBIOS name of your domain, or type a backslash if it is not already there.
- Click OK two times, and then quit Exchange System Manager.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.
- Expand Default Web Site.
- Right-click Exchweb, and then click Properties.
- Click the Directory Security tab, and then click Edit under Anonymous access and authentication control.
- Make sure that the Basic Authentication check box and the Integrated Windows Authentication check box are not checked, and then click to select the Anonymous access check box if it is not already selected.
- Click OK two times.
- Right-click Default Web Site, click Stop, and then click Start.
- Grant the Authenticated Users group a minimum of Read and Execute permissions, Read permissions, and List Folder Contents permissions on the appropriate Exchange and Microsoft Windows directories.
- To assign the correct permissions, follow these steps:
In Windows Explorer, locate and right-click the Exchsrvr\Exchweb folder, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then make sure that the Authenticated Users group has the following permissions:
Read and Execute
List Folder Contents
Read
Verify that the system account has the Full Control permission on the Exchweb directory.
Repeat step a through step c for the following directories:
Winnt\System32
Winnt\System32\Inetsrv
Winnt\System32\Wbem
Exchsrvr\Bin
Exchsrvr\RES
- Checked the log files of IIS and make out that there was ISAPI which was creating the problem.
]
- Error message - remote OWA users receive "Access denied"
- Looking for the failed IIS logon events - status code is 401.5
"Authorization failed by ISAPI or CGI"
- Checked the ISAPI filter on the default website - our Exchange OWA filter is the only one present
Checked the MIME Map - Removed the .* entry
Did an IIS reset
Now OWA works

RELATED KNOWLEDGE BASE ARTICLES: 327843

[ November 02, 2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Lamar ]

(in reply to dickdl)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Access Denied Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter