• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

make all ougoing mail go out of one server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> make all ougoing mail go out of one server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 8:20:45 AM   
exchange3245

I have 4 exchange 2003 servers all in different sites.  They connect into my main site through vpns and are all part of the same organization.  I need to determine where all the outgoing mail is going.  Is it going out at the local site, or is everything filtering in from the different sites into my main site and then out?  My main site has the smtp connector.

Any help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 9:09:46 AM   
uemurad

The simplest way would be to send a message from a mailbox housed on one of your remote servers to a yahoo account.  Yahoo has the feature of showing the message header so you can see if it traveled from the remote to the main server before going out to the Internet.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to exchange3245)
Post #: 2
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 11:16:24 AM   
exchange3245

Thanks for the reply, I think that would be a good test.  But can you tell me how it's actually configured in Exchange?  I need the option of having some remote sites send their mail out their own internet connection and other sites to send their email out from the main server.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 11:28:10 AM   
uemurad

There are two main ways to configure forced routing, and one way to allow an Exchange server to send messages out directly.  You can set up a smarthost in the Default SMTP Virtual Server which will force all messages to a specific address - not recommended in most cases.  The other forced method is to configure a smarthost in an SMTP Connector, possibly in conjunction with routing groups.  Configuring direct outbound delivery is also configured in an SMTP connector (using DNS instead of a named smarthost).

How many routing groups do you have in your Exchange organization?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 4
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 11:44:05 AM   
exchange3245

We currently have all servers in one routing group - "First Routing Group".  The SMTP connector in our headquarters has it configured as using DNS and not a smarthost and has our headquarter's exchange server as the only virtual server on the connector.  This is the only connector configured. 

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 11:59:14 AM   
uemurad

Check each of the remote office servers in the System Manager for the smarthost setting by expanding the server, Protocols, SMTP and opening the properties of the Default SMTP Virtual Server.  On the Delivery tab click Advanced.  Is there anything in the Smarthost field?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 6
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 12:09:54 PM   
exchange3245

Interesting, yes, half are blank and half point to our exchange server at headquarters.  Is this the preferred way of pointing remote exchanges servers to funnel all the mail through the headquarter's server? 

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 12:47:25 PM   
uemurad

If your single Routing Group contains all your mailbox servers are members, and your SMTP connector only lists your HQ Exchange server as a bridgehead, then you leave your Default SMTP Virtual Server settings blank.  It will still work if you declare the HQ server as the smarthost, but it's one more thing to remember later if you have to troubleshoot.

The Link State Table will understand that the only route out to non-authoritative domains is through the HQ server.

The reason for not statically declaring a smarthost in the remote servers is that if the HQ server goes offline (or loses its Internet connection), you'd only have to change the bridgehead list for the SMTP connector to add one of the other servers to continue to get mail out.  If you've declared static smarthosts, those servers won't have anywhere to send outbound mail.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 8
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 1:58:08 PM   
exchange3245

Thanks for all you help.  This is great.  I just registered on this site today.  It's a great resource. 

So the smarthost information on each individual server is redundant in my current setup.  If I only have one routing group with all servers inside it, and one smtp connector with one server(using dns not smarthost) on it then all email will be going out on that one server.  Am I correct in my thinking?  Now if i want one remote location to send email out directly to their internet connection what is the smartest way to do that?  Also, how would I stop bounce back messages from other email systems rejecting this email if they do revers dns(since the email wouldn't be originating from the ip address attached to the mx record)?  I would think adding an additional mx record would work but I don't want incoming mail coming into this other mx record pointing to the remote location.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 2:16:12 PM   
uemurad

quote:

I just registered on this site today.  It's a great resource.
I couldn't agree more.  It's why I hang around so much - always more to learn from other people...
quote:

So the smarthost information on each individual server is redundant in my current setup.  If I only have one routing group with all servers inside it, and one smtp connector with one server(using dns not smarthost) on it then all email will be going out on that one server.  Am I correct in my thinking?
Correct.
quote:

Now if i want one remote location to send email out directly to their internet connection what is the smartest way to do that?
Just add that server to the list of Bridgeheads in the SMTP connector.
quote:

Also, how would I stop bounce back messages from other email systems rejecting this email if they do revers dns(since the email wouldn't be originating from the ip address attached to the mx record)?  I would think adding an additional mx record would work but I don't want incoming mail coming into this other mx record pointing to the remote location.
Please read this article from Oz Ozugurlu:
Change FQDN name on EHLO/HELO

< Message edited by uemurad -- 29.Apr.2008 2:48:44 PM >

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 10
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 2:23:52 PM   
exchange3245

Awesome, thanks for the help.  You've saved me a lot of headaches.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 11
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 2:55:58 PM   
exchange3245

To sum of the article on your external link it looks like it requires your mx record which might be listed as mail.domain.com to be the same as the fully qualified domain name on the virtual server settings.  Ours is actually different and it's been setup like that for years.  Is there some other way that this might be setup?  Does this sort of spam checking look at the IP address as well?  Or just he matching of names?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 12
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 3:02:47 PM   
uemurad

MX records are only used to resolve addresses for outbound messages.  It is not uncommon to have separate inbound and outbound paths.

What does happen is that recipient systems can sometimes compare the sending address of the message with the banner of the sending system.  If they don't match, it can be the trigger to reject the message.  That is a measure to block messages from spammers and zombie attacks.

Another block method is to compare the domain name of the reverse-DNS lookup for the sending IP address to the domain name of the sending SMTP address.  This requires that you have a PTR record established for the public IP address of your sending system that identifies your SMTP domain.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 13
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 3:24:19 PM   
exchange3245

So, if I had two bridgehead servers attached to my smtp connector so that two different physical sites can send outgoing email, how would I setup my dns so spam filters don't block the email?
If I create host and ptr records for each server that matches the fqdn listed on virtual server settings would that be sufficient?  Since I'd only have one server setup to receive email, I'd only have one mx record.  Is that an issue?
Sorry for dragging this one on but it's the first time I've run across setting this up.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 14
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 3:32:07 PM   
uemurad

quote:

Since I'd only have one server setup to receive email, I'd only have one mx record.  Is that an issue?
MX records are used by sending systems to figure out how to get a message to you.  The inbound IP address may have no correlation to the outbound IP address, and therefore MX records are of no use for spam-blocking purposes.
quote:

So, if I had two bridgehead servers attached to my smtp connector so that two different physical sites can send outgoing email, how would I setup my dns so spam filters don't block the email?
If I create host and ptr records for each server that matches the fqdn listed on virtual server settings would that be sufficient?
If you have two systems sending out directly to the Internet, you must have two IP addresses from which your mail seemingly comes from.  Each of those IP addresses requires a PTR record (which allows a system to query the public DNS - the IP address is used as input and an FQDN is returned).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 15
RE: make all ougoing mail go out of one server - 29.Apr.2008 3:40:09 PM   
exchange3245

Thanks for clarifying that.  You've been a great help.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> make all ougoing mail go out of one server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter