• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

moving users and running out of room

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> moving users and running out of room Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
moving users and running out of room - 27.Nov.2009 9:58:31 PM   
goody3335

I may have just made a big mistake.  I was having some trouble with backing up one of my stores...it said there were corrupt files.  The suggestion was made that I create a new mail store and move the users there.  I put it on the same drive and started moving users over, but now I'm running out of room.  I was aware that it initially copied users, but I thought the originals were eventually deleted...thereby leaving me with the original amount of free space.  Is there a way I can free up some space?  Only half the users have been moved from the store. 

I appreciate any help!!!!   Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 10:29:52 AM   
uemurad

I'm assuming that means you are running out of physical disk space.  Remember that Exchange databases never shrink on their own.  Additional whitespace is created, but the physical size will only get smaller by performing an offline defrag.  Check the latest 1221 Event in the Application Log to see how much space you can expect to recover before running an offline defrag.

Of course, if you are somehow able to move all the mailboxes out of the original store, you wouldn't need those database files at all.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 2
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 10:36:14 AM   
goody3335

Here is the info from Event 1221
Event Type: Information
Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
Event Category: General
Event ID: 1221
Date: 11/30/2009
Time: 5:00:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TYLMBDAY1
Description:
The database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (DAYTONMAIL)" has 29313 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

You recommend trying to get the rest of the mailboxes out of there and then deleting the transaction log files for that store? What about turning on circular logging? I know it's not recommended, but would it be foolish to turn it on just while I move the mailboxes? That would free up space pretty quickly, right?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 10:51:21 AM   
uemurad

Let's take a step backwards for a moment. 

You have both the transaction log files and the database files on the same physical partition?  Is there any way to separate the two?

How much space is being taken by your log files, and how often do you perform Full or Incremental backups on your Information Store?

The Transactional Logs are there for data recovery should you ever need to restore the database from backup.  They hold all the information for messages received after your last backup..

EDIT:  Also, your 1221 event indicates you can recover about 29GB of disk space by running an offline defrag.  Understand that you'll need disk space in order to run it - there are articles around about how to perform the defrag on a different computer if needed.

< Message edited by uemurad -- 30.Nov.2009 10:53:05 AM >

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 4
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 11:26:53 AM   
goody3335

Yes, unfortunately they're on the same drive. I know this isn't right, but we're about to upgrade to 2007 so I don't want to risk any downtime right now.

The log files are about 220GB right now on that storage group, so I don't have enough room on another drive to transfer them over. I could move the database, but that would require a dismount, correct? I'd really like to avoid downtime, if possible.

The log files are taking up a little more than half the drive right now...at 220GB. We do a full backup during the weekend and then differentials during the week. The problem is that this store kept reporting back as being corrupt...so the backup would report back as failing. So, I can't be sure the last time I got a good backup.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 11:37:52 AM   
goody3335

Also, it has about 10GB free right now on that drive.

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 6
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 11:55:56 AM   
uemurad

The amount of space taken by the log files indicates that you either aren't backing up the Information Store, or the software you are using to backup isn't properly deleting the files no longer needed.

If you aren't backing up the Information Store, doing it once will remove most of those log files.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 7
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 12:43:42 PM   
goody3335

Oh, duh! Sorry, thanks for reminding me of that. I was thinking that it should have already been cleaned up, but the full back up probably ran on Friday and the logs filled up Friday night and Saturday.

I'm running a full backup now. I'll post back when it's done.

Thanks for all your help!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: moving users and running out of room - 30.Nov.2009 12:45:23 PM   
uemurad

Since you ran a full on Friday night, the log files would be the transactions for the mailbox moves.  You should be able to run an Incremental if your backup software has that option.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 9
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 10:25:02 AM   
goody3335

Apparently my backup software isn't deleting the log files. It's still at 221GB. I'm going to call Symantec and see if they can help me. Any other ideas on what could be going wrong?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 10:48:38 AM   
uemurad

What software are you using?  Since you mentioned Symantec, I'm guessing BackupExec.  Do you have the Exchange Option installed?

Are you running a Full or Incremental backup on the Information Store, or just on the folders/files?  Are you backing up all of the Mailbox Stores for the Storage Group, or only one of several?  Log files won't be deleted unless all Mailbox Stores in a SG are backed up (remember that they are shared for the entire SG).

Look at the Application Log on your Exchange server - filter the events for the source "ESE".  It should show you what it's trying to do as it's doing it.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 11
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 11:19:51 AM   
goody3335

Yes, we have the Exchange Option using Backup Exec 12.5. I just talked to support and she told me to backup with ntbackup and that should get rid of the log files. Apparently Backup Exec won't delete any log files if the job fails and there's no way to override that feature. But ntbackup doesn't check for corrupted files and just backs everything up then deletes it.

My only problem now is that I have no where to put the backup files. So, I just ordered a large USB drive to hook up directly to the server so that I can run ntbackup.

Thanks for your help!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 12
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 3:37:01 PM   
uemurad

What is the failure?  Can you run an Incremental job instead to clear the log files?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 13
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 3:44:33 PM   
goody3335

The failure is that there is a corrupted file in the transaction logs somewhere. So, even an incremental won't work. It does seem to actually back it up, but it won't delete the files then. That way Symantec can protect itself just in case someone wants to restore and the files are gone.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 14
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 4:00:39 PM   
uemurad

Interesting - I've never encountered a corrupted log file before.  Hopefully NTBackup will clear out the logs like Symantec's Support has told you.

What I probably would have tried would have been to look at the Application Log entries that said which log files were to be deleted, manually deleted them, then immediately run another Full backup to see if it could then get past the error.

Event 223 indicates which log files should be backed up, 224 indicates which are to be deleted (should be the same files).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 15
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 4:02:55 PM   
goody3335

I thought it was dangerous to manually delete logs???

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 16
RE: moving users and running out of room - 1.Dec.2009 4:31:16 PM   
uemurad

Dangerous meaning the risk of not being able to replay transactions.  If there is a corrupted log file, that is probably a moot point (you won't be able to replay them anyway).  You need to reestablish your backups being in synch with log file removal.

Also consider that transactional log files are only needed to replay messages that happened after the last backup.  That's why Exchange-aware backup software can safely delete log files after a backup - they aren't needed any longer.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 17
RE: moving users and running out of room - 2.Dec.2009 10:16:17 AM   
goody3335

Well, surprise, surprise...the ntbackup didn't work either. I'm going to do what you suggested and delete the files that are supposed to be deleted.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 18
RE: moving users and running out of room - 2.Dec.2009 10:24:13 AM   
goody3335

Okay...I only have events from 11/30/09 on. The only 224 Events are for the two stores that don't have any corruption. Would it be really bad to just delete the old log files? They start on 11/1/09.

Thanks again for all your help!

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 19
RE: moving users and running out of room - 2.Dec.2009 10:34:03 AM   
uemurad

Did you get a report of which log file was corrupted?  If so, I'd start by deleting that one file and attempting an Incremental Exchange backup using BackupExec.

If not, I'd move the log files somewhere (just in case you end up needing to put them back) and attempting the Full backup using BE.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to goody3335)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> moving users and running out of room Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter