• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

multiple stores, trees or storage groups on the same server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> multiple stores, trees or storage groups on the same server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
multiple stores, trees or storage groups on the same se... - 27.Jan.2011 1:28:27 PM   
jcasteel

Hi,

I have a client that has a massive public folder store, upwards of 140gb. They would like to get this store size down to a managable (for DR purposes) size. I thought that I could simply create a new store and replicate certain folders to that store, but I see that this is not possible. What is the recommended way to do this with public folders?

If I create another storage group, will that create a separate instance of outlook accessible public folders?

Is my best option to web-enable the general purpose store that I've created and allow users to access this data this way? If so, what is the bset way to get emails back into this general purpose store?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: multiple stores, trees or storage groups on the sam... - 27.Jan.2011 1:57:26 PM   
mark@mvps.org

You can only have one store per server so if you want to split that 140GB in half you will need two Exchange servers. If you want the data replicated then you need another two in your other location.
Alternatively you leave the store at 140GB and just install a fresh server at the DR.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to jcasteel)
Post #: 2
RE: multiple stores, trees or storage groups on the sam... - 27.Jan.2011 2:00:30 PM   
jcasteel

Thanks Mark,

As I understand it, I could create other stores, but their just not MAPI enabled and can't be viewed via outlook. So technically I could create another store for archived data and it could be accessible via HTTP. Is that correct?

My next question is that if the above is all correct, how can I go about getting data from the current MAPI store over to the general purpose store?

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: multiple stores, trees or storage groups on the sam... - 27.Jan.2011 2:31:50 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Yeah, forget that idea. For-get-it.
You lose the ability in later versions of Exchange and if you do it you are in for a nightmare time.

You can't get it out of one and into the other. Once data is uploaded into this OWA accessible (only) store you can't get it out again.

Steer. Well. Clear.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to jcasteel)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> multiple stores, trees or storage groups on the same server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter