• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

no incoming Internet email

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> no incoming Internet email Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
no incoming Internet email - 6.Jun.2003 12:27:00 PM   
9milbill

Install went Ok, no errors. users can email each other OK, send email out to the internet OK, no no internet email comes in.
External can see Exchange OK with telnet 25 command, everything looks ok, SMTP connector, default SMTP VS etc, but nothing comes in.

Any ideas what may be wrong, what to check?
TIA
Stephen
Post #: 1
RE: no incoming Internet email - 6.Jun.2003 12:45:00 PM   
Robin.Lent

DNS??

Are you hosting you own mail?

If so, are the DNS records set to point to your server for mail?

Robin.

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 2
RE: no incoming Internet email - 6.Jun.2003 1:02:00 PM   
9milbill

Not sure of terminology, but ISP points directly to Exchange server (static ip on ADSL line behind firewall). i.e. firewall allows isp mail server only to smtp to static ip address. Firewall has rule which only allows smtp from isp server through to exchange server. Telnet xx.xx.xx.xx 25 gets correct response from Exchange, so ISP can see it OK. I'll check with ISP that MX records are OK. Is there a way to verify this myself?

If an email is sent externally from to a valid address, it doesn't get bounced or anything, just disappears into the ether.

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 3
RE: no incoming Internet email - 6.Jun.2003 1:37:00 PM   
Robin.Lent

If you are getting no 'bounce' from e-mails sent externally then it sounds like it could be your firewall casuing the problem.

Just so that this is clear in my head you sound like you have a setup similar to mine:

You have a static IP address for e-mail. This is one of the range given you by your ISP. This is actually on your router/modem.

Your firewall has a rule to allow SMTP traffic from that static IP address through to your internal Exchange box.

Is this correct?

Another thought is how long have you been setup with your ISP? It can take a day or more to get the DNS servers updated with your domain name!

If you are sending mail out is it arriving at the destination?
If so have you tried sending a mail out and then repling to it to see if it comes back?

Robin.

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 4
RE: no incoming Internet email - 6.Jun.2003 1:48:00 PM   
9milbill

Sounds like I have a identical setup to you. You're correct on every point.
Outgoing emails arrive OK at destination, but replying doesn't work. Disappears.

Domain has been with ISP for a while, web site is hosted and this works fine. SMTP email only recently set up though on same domain name. Previous email was shared single Pop3 via Tiscali address, which is still active, so no user grief yet, only frustration that they can't recv back, so I've benned them from sending anything from new email address until it's working. So near, yet so far!

Sounds like either the fw or dns/mx. How can I check mx records myself? Is there some kind of whois type check I can do?

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 5
RE: no incoming Internet email - 6.Jun.2003 2:34:00 PM   
cwillis

in system manger for exchange...

open your protocals, open smtp, get the properties dialog for your virtual smtp server...

Access tab, authentication button...

Is anonymous checked here...if not you will not get any email from outside sources. External email systems will not authenticate to your exchange server to deliver mail...so unless you have control of the delivering servers set your anonymous access to allow...

How is youre firewall setup....are you allowing smtp traffic only from your ISP's network? if so this is another problem...open you firewall for all smtp traffic....

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 6
RE: no incoming Internet email - 7.Jun.2003 9:31:00 PM   
9milbill

Chris and Robin,

I've checked MX records and they seem ok.
Default SMTP server|properties|access|access tab authentication is set to anon.

I've compared config with a pal's set up which is substantially the same, and all looks good.

No emails sent to @thisdomain.com bounce or return any kind of error. Even non-existent recipients, which I guess suggest that it isn't reaching Exchange at all.

Hair is now being torn out, straws grasped ....

Stephen

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 7
RE: no incoming Internet email - 2.Jul.2003 9:54:00 PM   
nichomach

Sorry to barge in, but has there been any resolution of this, please? I ask because I'm in a similar bind - can telnet in ok, have MX and A records set up at ISP, just that no mail goes to mailboxes. Any advice appreciated.

Ta,

Nick

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 8
RE: no incoming Internet email - 3.Jul.2003 2:54:00 AM   
pvong

If you say that DNS is set up correctly and your firewall is pointing all smtp traffic to Excahnge and MX record is point to your IP, then make sure your recpient policy is set up to accept emails for this domain.

http://forums.msexchange.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004508

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 9
RE: no incoming Internet email - 3.Jul.2003 9:45:00 AM   
nichomach

Thanks, pvong, I have, and I still get nothing. Ah what the heck, it's a new installation; I'll see if a reinstall will sort it.

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> no incoming Internet email Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter