• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003 install

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003 install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003 ins... - 22.Jan.2006 5:34:29 PM   
joeyd

After installing the first Ex2003 server in our domain which already has two Ex2000 servers, there are problems with the public folders. They wont display in ESM giving the error:

"Could not locat the root folder. Ensure that your default virtual server is running and it is configured correctly. If you have used the IIS Lockdown or URL Scanning security tools on your server, go to http://support.microsoft.com for more info...

ID no: c103b405
Exchange System Manager"

We've never used the IIS Lockdown or URL Scanning tools. The virtual directories do not exist under the default website w/in IIS. They are never created and we're not sure why. Restarting System Attendant is supposed to recreated these directories but it doesn't. The error in app log is :

"Source:MSExchangeMU

Metabase Update failed to properly initialize its context. It will retry initialization every 60 seconds until succeeds or shutdown is requested."

Any help or direction on this is greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 22.Jan.2006 5:45:10 PM   
menko

Hi,

It's a bit blunt but I saw good results with this:

- Remove IIS, SMTP, NNTP and ASP.NET with Add/Remove programs on Win2003 server;
- If you installed SP1 on the server, make sure there is a i386 directory with SP1 integrated;
- Then remove IIS directories manually from server (not the ones in System32);
- Reboot and ignore Exchange errors;
- Install IIS, SMTP, NNTP and ASP.NET with Add/Remove programs on Win2003 server again;
- Install Exchange 2003 again with Setup.exe and choose reinstall.

Regards,

Menko den Ouden
MCSE+I+Messaging

(in reply to joeyd)
Post #: 2
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 22.Jan.2006 10:07:18 PM   
joeyd

Thanks for the quick reply Menko. Unfortunately this didn't work. I'm still getting the same error in the app log:

"Metabase Update failed to properly initialize its context. It will retry initialization every 60 seconds until succeeds or shutdown is requested."

I've bumped up the diag logging in public folder and MSExchangeMU but nothing else shows up. Anyone have a clue why the virtual directories aren't being created???

Thanks,
-joey

(in reply to menko)
Post #: 3
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 22.Jan.2006 10:18:01 PM   
menko

Hi,

Did you ever have SUS on this or one of the other servers? You dont have a urlscan.ini file on any of the Exchange servers in ..\Windows\system32\inetsrv\urlscan  ?

Check this anyway:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837365/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289492/en-us

Regards,

Menko den Ouden
MCSE+I+Messaging

(in reply to joeyd)
Post #: 4
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 23.Jan.2006 1:54:14 PM   
menko

Just bumped into this one, you could check if this is the case:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870918/en-us

Regards,

Menko den Ouden
MCSE+I+Messaging

(in reply to joeyd)
Post #: 5
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 23.Jan.2006 5:27:23 PM   
joeyd

Thanks again Menko. That's still not the issue. While we are running WSUS, none of the current or previous Ex servers have urlscan installed.

I'm beginning to think it's a problem within Active Directory. Until last week this was a 2000 AD domain with 2 Ex2000 servers (mixed mode).....both being global cataloge servers. After installing Windows Server 2003 Ent Edition and promoting this new server to DC and global catalog, I then installed Ex2003 Ent Edition. Forestprep and Domainprep were run as directed in the install.

After a awhile of dealing with this problem we uninstalled Ex2003 and demoted it to a member server. Then we put the 2 2k servers in Native mode and tried to reinstall Ex2003 without promoting it to DC. Forestprep stalled out during the install. We re-promoted it to DC and the install completes w/o complaining, but we're left w/ the current issue.

Policytest.exe was ran and the permissions checked out fine. OrgPrepCheck was attempted, but it asks for an Ex5.5 server which we dont have.

It doesn't seem to matter what type of install we try, we get the same error.

(in reply to joeyd)
Post #: 6
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 24.Jan.2006 10:59:00 AM   
menko

Whooppss,

Well, since forestprep went wrong and seeing the issues you have, also it's not recommended to remove DC with dcpromo and then use the same computername to install Exchange again on, better to use different computername, I think it's better to call MS Product Support Services for extra help. Even without a contract you can get full support for not more than $ 250 . They also have very good tools to diagnose your complete AD and Exchange environment. Just look on http://support.microsoft.com/ for telephone numbers.

Regards,

Menko den Ouden
MCSE+I+Messaging

(in reply to joeyd)
Post #: 7
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 24.Jan.2006 4:24:56 PM   
joeyd

The server had the OS reinstalled and we used a different name just to be on the safe side. We were able to get Exchange installed w/o promoting it to a DC, but it's still has the original problem.

We may have to contact MS support. I will post the solution once we find it in hopes that it might benefit someone in the future.

Thanks for the help Menko!

-joey

(in reply to menko)
Post #: 8
RE: no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003... - 31.Jan.2006 7:32:38 PM   
PABBY

Hey guys. After spending all afternoon on this exact same problem, I just had to register with the forum to let you know how I eventually solved it! My error and log messages were more or less the same as have been described earlier in the thread. 1) Built a new Windows 2003 / Exchange 2003 server in a test environment. Ensured that Public Folders can be administered via Exchange System Manager. 2) In IIS Manager, saved the Default Web Site on the test server to a .XML file and copied this file to the broken server. 3) Stopped all Exchange services on the broken server. 4) In IIS Manager, deleted the whole of the Default Web Site on the broken server. 5) Created a new Default Web Site utilising the .XML file. (On viewing its properties, some of the original settings were still visible, so I had to hope that something 'behind the scenes' had been fixed.) 6) Rebooted the broken server. 7) Launched ESM and found that Public Folders could now be accessed successfully. Hope this helps!  Regards, Paul

(in reply to joeyd)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> no virtual directories created during Exchange 2003 install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter