• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

post-migration to exchange 2000 question...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> post-migration to exchange 2000 question... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
post-migration to exchange 2000 question... - 30.Jun.2003 7:22:00 PM   
thespiff

OK, well first of all, I'm just a fresh intern who is still getting the hang of all this stuff and only half know what I'm talking about. So if that makes you groan, I understand if you choose to ignore my post. "[Smile]"

Anyways, my company has already migrated to Exchange 2000...and now we're presented with the opportunity to populate our user profiles with data like user location, department, etc. so that mail could be easily sent to everyone in a particular building or department or whatever.

This is something we haven't bothered with in the past...so now we have hundreds and hundreds of users that need data added to their profiles...most of it the same information. Is there a program out there that can speed up this process? Or should I expect to be spending the duration of my summer internship doing this?

[ June 30, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: thespiff ]
Post #: 1
RE: post-migration to exchange 2000 question... - 2.Jul.2003 6:03:00 PM   
Fluffball

Check out the ldifde tool from Microsoft.

Its a command line tool that allows you to ammend the Active Directory.

[ July 02, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Fluffball ]

(in reply to thespiff)
Post #: 2
RE: post-migration to exchange 2000 question... - 17.Jul.2003 4:01:00 PM   
thespiff

Ok well I solved it myself. Wasn't especially easy...ended up teaching myself a crash course in VBScript, and at one point the description on the user accounts of everyone in my company was "putz" for a full day. Long story short I coded a variety of scripts that did what I needed them to do, the coolest of all was one that took data from our Intranet employee directory and used it to fill up user profiles in active directory. So the keywords to solving this problem are ADSI Edit (in the support tools pack on windows server 2000 or 2003 CD) and Visual Studio for writing VBScripts.
Thanks anyways for the help.

(in reply to thespiff)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> post-migration to exchange 2000 question... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter