• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

problems after mailbox restore

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> problems after mailbox restore Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
problems after mailbox restore - 14.Jun.2003 2:15:00 AM   
ws6

Hi, I am having some problems with my exchange server after a restore of my infomation stores. I am running exchange 2k in cluster mode with sp3 and all current updates on win 2k adv server sp3 with all updates (clustered in an active/passive cluster). I am using the most current versions of trend's server protect and scan mail for exchange on both servers. We had a problem when 1 server fell over and the server av software deleted the priv1.stm when it saw a virus in it (this was a setup error on my part). After this I restored older copies of my mdbdata folder, ran the eseutils to check the files and mounted the databases. I am using tapeware 6.3 for my backup util with a st. bernard open file manager. I am not running tapeware's exchange plug-in since it does not support clustering at this time. After the restore I started to have some errors in exchange with email with active items in them (examples are some pricing lists that I get periodically and my weekly aopa updates). In outlook 2k when I go to look at them I get a error "This item contains active content that cannot be displayed in the preview pain." and when I double click it to open it I get an error of "can't open this item. path does not exist". In owa when I try to open them I get a http 404 - file not found error. I gotten any newer email to try this out on with outlook express (setup to pull from the pop server). This is happening with both new email and older ones that where in the store before the problems. Any idea's anyone?? Thanks for you help and reading this very long winded post. If you have any questions just ask.

Thanks,
Chris T.
Post #: 1
RE: problems after mailbox restore - 16.Jun.2003 7:04:00 PM   
ws6

If this helps, I messed around a little today with my info stores. I went to the m drive and to my mailbox, found an item that I couldn't open in exchange and tried to open it. I couldn't open it there either. When I right clicked it and went to properties all that happened was that general tab came up (no security tab at all). The message's still show the correct size. Anyone have any idea how to fix this???

(in reply to ws6)
Post #: 2
RE: problems after mailbox restore - 17.Jun.2003 10:23:00 PM   
jpciocon

Hello Chris T.:

If the databases mount, then the problem is limited to certain messages within that database. However, database corruption is a serious problem and identifying plus understanding what caused it is key.

The error you're seeing with a particular message is your clue. Check out your Application Log for event 475, 478 or 8012 and read up on 314917. This is an updated article and it includes support for E2k databases.

Good luck!
-Juancho

(in reply to ws6)
Post #: 3
RE: problems after mailbox restore - 19.Jun.2003 1:44:00 AM   
ws6

Thanks for everyone's help. Today I got mailbox's fixed and I also found out what happened. My priv1.edb was corrupt. When my servers fell over (cluster array), due to one of them getting really busy and starting to time out, my server virus scan saw a virus in the priv1.stm file and tried to clean it. It did clean it but at the same time totally corrupted the stm file. For some reason the store mounted but later came down. When I setup the virus scan program on my servers I set it to not scan the mdbdata dir but I made a mistake and only applied that setting to 1 server instead of both (this is why on failover the second server was able to scan the mdbdata dir). Me trying to repair the database just make the corruption worse. What I finally did to fix it was repair my corrupt database and use exmerge to extract all emails that where from the time of the database getting corrupted till when I took it offline. I then restored a backup of my exchange data and did the same thing to it but extracted all data to pst's. Then I make a new clean store and restored both sets of pst's with exmerge. 95% of my data is still here and good. The other 5 was too corrupt to save. Thanks for all your help.

Chris T.

(in reply to ws6)
Post #: 4
RE: problems after mailbox restore - 10.May2012 1:26:51 PM   
techinfo

Runing an eseutil /p or edbutil /d /r, isinteg command line tools against Exchange database files is called hard repair. These tools analyze critical structures of the database file and checks for damaged pages.

If these utilities encounters a page that is damaged or unable to read, it simply removes the page. Thus, in this situation, critical data may be lost after the repair finishes. This data could be your important emails, contacts, attachments or a part of a system table. It is impossible to find out how much data you've lost?

It is always good to restore from a most recent backup file whenever possible. In case, you have not updated backup file or backup is itself corrupt, then you can use a third party Exchange recovery program like: http://goo.gl/PyCxyQ

This tool can help you to avoid critical data loss problems and you can get upto 100 % accurate data in your database. It is compatible with all versions of MS Exchange Server i.e.2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000, and 5.5

< Message edited by techinfo -- 10.Oct.2015 11:41:36 AM >

(in reply to ws6)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> problems after mailbox restore Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter