• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

public folder permissions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> public folder permissions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
public folder permissions - 27.Oct.2004 7:33:00 PM   
vankai

Hello -

I'm trying to setup public folders for my company so each department can view materials only pertaining to them. I tried testing this out, by creating two groups in AD and added members (I am one of them) to it . I then created two public folders as well. In each public folder I set the client permissions to only allow that certain group. To my understanding, I should only see the folder that only allows that certain AD group, not all of them. My logic seems correct, but when I view in my Outlook, it shows both public folders and I can access them both, even though I am a member of just one group. Note: I am Admin, and I did remove access from the public folder client permissions.
Am I doing this correctly? Please shed some light so I can understand it better.

Also, in the future once this is set up properly, I want the folders to allow emails from certain address so that group can only see them. How would I set that up?

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: public folder permissions - 27.Oct.2004 7:43:00 PM   
Zelandakh

Create a security group called Group1.
Create a security group called Group2.

Populate the groups with users. Including yourself.

Create a public folder called Folder1.
Create a public folder called Folder2.

In the permissions of Folder1, add Group1. Set the default permissions to None. Set the anonymous permissions to None. Untick the folder visible box.
Repeat for Folder2 / Group2.

Remember that you can see both as you are the Owner. Recommend that you set Group1 / Group2 as Publishing Authors otherwise they can delete all sorts of bits!

(in reply to vankai)
Post #: 2
RE: public folder permissions - 27.Oct.2004 9:58:00 PM   
vankai

Well, I did as you said and it is still not working properly. Now when I try to access any PF it is denying me. Any idea why it would block me to that PF even though I allowed the group I am a member of, access? I thought I had the logic down for it, but it seems I'm missing something. I've checked my AD profile and it shows that I belong to that group. It seems that when I set up the Client Permissions and adding that group access, it's actually blocking them. Any ideas? thanks in advance.

(in reply to vankai)
Post #: 3
RE: public folder permissions - 27.Oct.2004 11:01:00 PM   
vankai

well I got it to work...sort of. In the Client Permissions, I added a User instead of a Group and that works like a champ. Any ideas why the Group would not allow me access to the PF even though I'm a member of the group?

(in reply to vankai)
Post #: 4
RE: public folder permissions - 4.Nov.2004 4:45:00 AM   
vretna

Does your site employ multiple domains in your AD?

(in reply to vankai)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> public folder permissions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter