• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

serious virus issues....

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> serious virus issues.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
serious virus issues.... - 26.Apr.2004 3:54:00 PM   
romulus

I have an exchange server running and we're getting about 1,200 bad mail perday and also about 5 viruses showing up in the queue. It has McAfee VirusScan Enterprise on it, which is detecting them, but I would like to know if there is a way to tighten things up so that they just don't get there.
So far the main ones have been Bagel, MyDoom, and now most prominent is Netsky.y
This is not a big network we're talking about, so I think I should be able to avoid most of this.
Is there any way to rid myself of the majority of the viruses that are coming? Is the virus software I'm using inferior?
What can I do?
Post #: 1
RE: serious virus issues.... - 27.Apr.2004 2:42:00 PM   
pjhutch

You need Groupshield to scan for Viruses on Exchange. VirusScan Enterprise is just a file system scanner NOT an Email scanner.

We use GRoupshield and we also get 100s of MyDoom, Netsky viruses. We recently implemented a policy of blocking ALL program attachments (we use the same list of file extensions that Outlook XP uses to block), to prevent viruses getting though.

(in reply to romulus)
Post #: 2
RE: serious virus issues.... - 27.Apr.2004 3:27:00 PM   
romulus

would using a program like groupshield also reduce the number of badmail that we're getting?
The McAfee IS finding the viruses, or so it seems, and blocking them. Then they just end up in the queue. However, we are just getting a fantastic amount of junk/badmail and I'm wondering if there is any possibility of cutting this number down by quite a bit.
Also, one user seems to be sending out viruses from his machine via e-mail and the Stinger and other virus scans reveal nothing on the Exchange server or his box. Is that just because we need the solution you recommend or is ther something else I should be doing coupled with the Groupshield?

(in reply to romulus)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> serious virus issues.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter