• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

steps

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> steps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
steps - 19.May2007 8:26:33 AM   
danand

1.       Ensure that you new server has the following disk configuration (it is not essential for the size of server you are building, but will put you in a good position).

X 2 Disks Mirrored for the System (e.g. Windows installation, Exchange binaries)
X 2 Disks Mirrored for the Exchange Transaction Logs (I am going to assume that you have either the Standard Edition of Exchange or SBS so you will only have one storage group)
X 3 (4 better) RAID 5 for the Databases (you can mirror them, but RADI 5 is slightly better for resilience).

2.       Install Windows 2003 on the new server, ensure that SP2 is installed and then install the latest Windows 2003 updates from Windows Update.
3.       Join the new server to you existing domain ensure that the DNS settings are correct (e.g. the primary DNS server for the new Exchange box is the Windows 2000 domain controller, make sure that the primary DNS suffix is set etc).
4.       Install the following on your new server:
a.       IIS  - including the following sub components :-
                                                              i.      ASP.NET
                                                            ii.      NNTP Service
                                                           iii.      SMTP Service
5.       On the Windows 2000 domain controller you will need to edit the registry (ensure that you have a FULL backup before proceeding) to allow for the Exchange schema extensions to be installed the following is taken from KB216060

A registry modification to allow write operations to the schema is necessary before a Schema Administrator can create and modify classes and attributes using the Active Directory Schema Manager snap-in.

To modify the registry to allow write operations to the schema, create a new REG_DWORD value named "Schema Update Allowed" with a data value of "1" in the following registry key:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters

It is not necessary to reboot the computer. The Active Directory service automatically detects the change. To disable schema updates on this domain controller, change the data value to "0".

BEFORE Proceeding ensure that you have a FULL backup of AD

6.       When you have done this, on the Domain Controller insert the Exchange CD-ROM into the drive and then go to START->RUN and type the following command <CD-DRIVE LETTER>:\Setup\i386\setup.exe /FORESTPREP

This will then install the Exchange schema extensions when this has completed type in the following command from the RUN menu:

7.       command <CD-DRIVE LETTER>:\Setup\i386\setup.exe /DOMAINPREP

When Domain Prep has completed you can take the Exchange CD ROM out of the Domain Controllers drive and place it in the CD drive of the new Exchange Server.
8.       On the Exchange server go to START->RUN and type in the following command:
<CD-DRIVE LETTER>:\Setup\i386\setup.exe
9.       Exchange will then (hopefully) begin to install.
10.   When the Exchange installation has finished download Exchange 2003 SP2 from the Microsoft Web site and apply it to your new server.
11.   Hopefully now you will be in a position to start using Exchange it does not quite get you in the position of sending and receiving External mail however it should be enough to be getting on with you can post back when you have it installed - there is loads for required reading on Exchange but I recommend that you have a look around the Microsoft website in the documentation areas (some of it is very good) and having a look around this very site MSExchange.org is generally the Oracle of all things Exchange and some of the best with the product in the world frequent the forums so you are not alone.

I have gone through each and every step of above now i am able to send and receive mail in intranet but i am not able to receive or send mails from and to internet users.

D Anand
Post #: 1
RE: steps - 19.May2007 9:32:07 AM   
uemurad

Inbound and outbound are slightly different animals.  Let's take inbound first.

Is your SMTP domain configured with MX and PTR records that can be resolved by an outside system?  In other words, if my mail system attempted to send you mail, would I be able to resolve your address?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to danand)
Post #: 2
RE: steps - 5.May2015 12:48:01 AM   
Heather12

Try CloudBacko Pro software for backup plan to your system's data. Very easy to use, no installation required, accessible through by logging from any of the social media account. CloudBacko Pro software provides us free cloud storage combined from Google Drive, Drop Box, One Drive into a single large storage. Backup large Hyper-V virtual machine (VM) within minutes. Only CloudBacko encrypts your filenames as well.Zero data loss with multi-destination cloud & local backup. Backup all your databases, virtual machines & workstations. Easy to use, no training required. Guaranteed recovery. Support Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Free software update forever.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> steps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote