• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

storage groups 1 to 1 ratio

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> storage groups 1 to 1 ratio Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
storage groups 1 to 1 ratio - 13.Mar.2008 1:11:05 AM   
goof1427

Hi..

first thnx for taking the time to read ...this should be a simple question..

we are migrating to Exchange 2007 soon...the question for storage has come up... we will have 3Mailbox servers and 1mailbox server as standby ...this is will be a SCR cluster...
currently we have exchange 2003..3 servers...each server has 4SGs..with 5mailbox stores...(60mailbox stores)

so if Exchange 2007 with clustering the ratio is one database per storage group i would need 60 storage groups....correct?
Post #: 1
RE: storage groups 1 to 1 ratio - 13.Mar.2008 2:02:15 AM   
Elan Shudnow

You only "need" 1:1 ratio where you'll be doing some type of continous log replication; whether that may be via LCR, CCR, and/or SCR.  Even if you're not using continous log replication, it's still recommended to use a 1:1 ratio due to backup/recovery functionality improvements.

For example, if you have 5 databases, if you place all 5 databases in their own storage group, you can back up different databases simultaneously.  If you have 2 databases in 1 storage group, you can back up only 1 of those databases.  In a scenario where your server goes down, you're going to want flexibility in restoration procedures.

Also, Exchange 2007 Enterprise supports 50 storage groups and 50 databases.  Exchange 2007 Standard supports 5 storage groups and 5 databases.  You could get 2 Enterprise licenses or mix and match how you see fit.  As always, Enterprise will be needed for clustering.

Hope that helped.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to goof1427)
Post #: 2
RE: storage groups 1 to 1 ratio - 13.Mar.2008 8:47:30 AM   
goof1427

Awesome ...thnx! ...that helps a lot...  another question is that there isnt much written on the subject of 1 to 1...and the reasons why ... like you stated for backups and recoverability... anywhere i can get more info?  thnx.

(in reply to goof1427)
Post #: 3
RE: storage groups 1 to 1 ratio - 13.Mar.2008 9:27:34 AM   
mark@mvps.org

The reasons are wide and varied. When you look on the MS site you'll see the recommendations for the 1:1 relationship and there will be reasons given there. One very good reason for it is performance. If you have lots of stores in one SG you have a lot of logs getting generated. This is bad, very bad if you're one of the 90% of people who ignore disk layout instructions, as you end up with queues, latency, log record stalls and annoying "bubble" messages in Outlook as the clients stall until the server purges the logs out.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to goof1427)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> storage groups 1 to 1 ratio Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter