• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

two front end servers using same external domain

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> two front end servers using same external domain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
two front end servers using same external domain - 26.May2010 11:48:48 PM   
prab

Hi,

is there a way i can use 2 front end servers and use the same link for OWA so that if load of the users accessing OWA can be balanced on both. and i dont need to create two separate links for both servers for OWA for users.

thanks for your help
Post #: 1
RE: two front end servers using same external domain - 27.May2010 1:30:58 AM   
uemurad

How many back-end servers are behind them?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to prab)
Post #: 2
RE: two front end servers using same external domain - 27.May2010 8:16:18 AM   
prab

there is one.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: two front end servers using same external domain - 27.May2010 11:09:23 AM   
uemurad

The reason I asked is that I was curious what issue your proposal is attempting to solve or avoid.

What do you hope to gain by having two front-end servers for one back-end? Performance issues are going to manifest themselves on the back-end far in advance of anything showing up on the front-end.

Sorry to be answering your questions with questions. There are ways to do what you want, but they typically involve spending money. The simplest solution may be to contact your DNS hosting service and see if they have a feature to have one FQDN load-balance to multiple IP addresses. The two front-end servers would each have their own public IP address. That may not be the perfect solution, because then you have to deal with SSL certificates which link a specific FQDN to a specific IP address. I know of at least one hardware device that will handle the load-balancing and certificates, but that seems overkill for one back-end mailbox server.

If you are instead talking about redundancy and failover, that is a different situation than what you've described.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to prab)
Post #: 4
RE: two front end servers using same external domain - 27.May2010 11:40:36 AM   
prab

got it.
Also another question. Can we setup HA on exchange 2003. so that if the current hardware fails on the existing exchange. the  other one can take over rightaway.

Thanks

(in reply to prab)
Post #: 5
RE: two front end servers using same external domain - 27.May2010 12:16:58 PM   
uemurad

That is not a feature of Exchange 2003. You can use Microsoft Clustering, but that still implies a shared storage area. If you have a need for a separate DR site and/or completely separate/replicated storage, you'll need a 3rd-party product (check the Software section here at MSExchange.org for examples) or upgrade to Exchange 2007 or 2010.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to prab)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> two front end servers using same external domain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter