• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

using a public folder as a mailbox

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> using a public folder as a mailbox Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
using a public folder as a mailbox - 17.Aug.2005 10:31:00 AM   
fatattack

Hi,

I have been following the guide on this topic on the site but I have had some thoughts about it.
The article in question is found at http://www.msexchange.org/articles/MF021.html

I have been trying to get a public folder to act as a mailbox and partly succeeded through following the guide, however I do have a problem with it.

In the guide it says:
"
Now, because this folder is going to be used by multiple users, what we really need is for each user to know when one of the other users has read and/or responded to the e-mail in it. Here are the steps to enable this:

Open the Properties for the Public Folder using ˘Exchange System Manager÷
At the bottom of the General tab you will see a checkbox titled ˘Maintain per-user read and unread information for this folder÷, clear the checkbox.
"

However I have found that in orde to make the mails ( format has been changed to note instead of default post ) appear as READ after reading them, the above mentioned checkbox needs to be enabled instead of the advised cleared state.

Furthermore, and this is mainly my remaining issue, the mails in the public folder change their status from unread to read just fine but I have not been able to find a way I can actually see if someone else has replied to the read message or just read it but done nothing with it.
in a regular mailbox, it's shown above the message when someone has replied to it. This does however not happen with the public folder.

Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

FYI:

exchange 2003
windows 2003
outlook 2003
Post #: 1
RE: using a public folder as a mailbox - 22.Aug.2005 1:49:00 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You've found one of the limitations. If you want that, you'd need to set up a Group Mailbox rather than a Public Folder.

(in reply to fatattack)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> using a public folder as a mailbox Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter